Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Card Account Still with OC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Card Account Still with OC

Hey all,

I have a Chase Card balance that still is with the OC. Showing as Charged Off/In Collections. Balance is 920 dollars. Closed August of 2015.

All of my other collections that I have dealt with have been with a CA that bought the debt, I've never dealt with the OC before.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to deal with an OC? and anyone that has had experience with Chase in particular would be great as well. I don't know what can be done with this, but what suggestions for maximum positive impact for my report is what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Chase Card Account Still with OC

The designation of "Charge-off/In Collections" is often presented in commercial credit reports as a generic designation that broadly could be either or both.

A collection is usually reported by a third party who has either been assigned collection authority by the original creditor or has purchased the debt, and thus becomes the owner.  The third party who is then collecting on the debt is defined under FDCPA 803(6) as a "debt collector,"  who can report their collection to a CRA.

However, original creditors can establish their own internal collection activities on delinquent debt.

If, in conducting collection activities internally, they use a name that might suggest or imply to the consumer that it might be a third party, the original creditor is legally defined under FDCPA 803(6) as also being a "debt collector."

The legal significance is that they then become subject to all of the provisions and requirements of the FDCPA, including the debt validation process.

If only the OC is reporting, and no dunning notice or other reporting by a debt collector has separately been made, then the showing in your commerical credit report of "Charged-Off/In Collections" should not be interpreted as your having BOTH a reported charge-off AND a collection.  It your case, it likely means only that the original creditor has reported a charge-off.

You would deal with the original creditor the same as any delinquent account until such time as you have clear reporting of a separate collection.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine is still with chase, I called their internal department yesterday to set up payments because at least it will fair better to be a paid charge off than unpaid. Maybe call chase to do that ?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

They dont sell off accounts, or sue anymore. I have nearly $100K in charge-offs with them across 5 cards from years ago.  They sent me a letter about a month ago offering to take $18K for everything. I accepted, just waiting to hear from where to send the cashiers check.  He did say I'm going to get a massive tax bill from it.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I guess what I'm asking then is, with Chase handling it, if I pay it off, as far as getting it removed, are my only options getting it paid off and then maybe a GW letter?

Message 5 of 6
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

Yes because its really hard to get a oc to pfd.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.