cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Charge off

tag
katie011

Chase Charge off

I have a chase charge off from 2012.  I have not received notice from Chase or any DCA about the balance.  I did some research today about charge off's and who I should call and I ran across various articles that state Chase halted or stopped collection on over 528K accounts between 2009 & 2014.  Any one encounter this?  were you notified that the collections would cease?  Any idea how I go about finding out since I dont want to restart the clock on the debt.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase Charge off

@katie011 wrote:

I have a chase charge off from 2012.  I have not received notice from Chase or any DCA about the balance.  I did some research today about charge off's and who I should call and I ran across various articles that state Chase halted or stopped collection on over 528K accounts between 2009 & 2014.  Any one encounter this?  were you notified that the collections would cease?  Any idea how I go about finding out since I dont want to restart the clock on the debt.

I have read about that as well. Have you checked your reports?

Also, the only way to "restart the clock" is if you make payments on the account.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 2 of 9
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Check the statue of limitations on collections in your state. Once you are certain that it has been exceeded (meaning they can't sue you), then start disputing it if still present on your reports. Until the statute of limitations has expired - let sleeping dogs lie.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wondering about those limitations...do you go by what state you were a resident when the cc was opened,charged off or the current state you reside in?

Message 4 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In response to Katie011, does Chase still own the debt, or did they sell it to another after having taken the charge-off?

Message 5 of 9
wa3more
Established Contributor

I’m in New York and chase got a judgment against me in 2011. I made payments to sheriff for 2years then they return the payment. I called chase. This was in 2012. They would not tell me but I found out they got in trouble with  regulators. I got them to settle for 10% or so on balance.  Depending on what state you in , they could borrow 3 year Delaware statute and you are OSS 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sjt wrote:

@katie011 wrote:

Also, the only way to "restart the clock" is if you make payments on the account.

I think the only clock that gets "restarted" is the SOL clock.  The account should still roll off of the credit reports 7-7.5 years after the Date of First Delinquency.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  Hopefully some of the gurus can chime in here.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sjt wrote:

@katie011 wrote:

I wish people would stop talking about ""restarting the clock" - that simply DOES NOT OCCUR. Making payments DOES NOT CHANGE THE DoFD. EVER. Defaulting on a payment plan *can* establish a new SOL period (the time for which you can be sued) but it in no way effects the original reporting.

Message 8 of 9
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@sjt wrote:

@katie011 wrote:

I wish people would stop talking about ""restarting the clock" - that simply DOES NOT OCCUR. Making payments DOES NOT CHANGE THE DoFD. EVER. Defaulting on a payment plan *can* establish a new SOL period (the time for which you can be sued) but it in no way effects the original reporting.

I wish this information was a sticked post at the top of this forum in capital letters! 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.