Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom card closed

tag
Moni209
Contributor

Chase Freedom card closed

Hello all, I’ve had a chase freedom card since 2015 but ran into some trouble in 2017 and was 60 days late so chase decided to close my card, they offered me a payment plan which I took and have been paying a monthly payment ever since. I would very much like a chase card again but still owe 2k on it. Ive slowly rebuilding my credit and doing good. Do I have a chance on ever being approved for a chase card once I pay them off or will the closed account and late payment hunt me forever.?
Thank you all!

Current Score: 4•29 | EQ 666 | TU 673 | EX 666
Goal Score: 730
12 REPLIES 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom card closed

Chase is not known for being a forgiving creditor. Chances are slim. There other cards out there equal to or better than chase. Its just me. The name means squat to me. Its whats going to get me the best benefit from using the card. Good Luck!

Message 2 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Moni209 wrote:
Hello all, I’ve had a chase freedom card since 2015 but ran into some trouble in 2017 and was 60 days late so chase decided to close my card, they offered me a payment plan which I took and have been paying a monthly payment ever since. I would very much like a chase card again but still owe 2k on it. Ive slowly rebuilding my credit and doing good. Do I have a chance on ever being approved for a chase card once I pay them off or will the closed account and late payment hunt me forever.?
Thank you all!

Chase tends to be quite unforgiving. I would not say forever, but years for sure. 

Good news is, everything Chase has CC wise,  other issuers do, too. I would not sweat them too hard. 

Message 3 of 13
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Moni209 wrote:
Thank you all!

Paying them off is a good thing and they won't blacklist you. You can make a request and have them reopen the account once its paid. They did that for a friend of mine. 

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 4 of 13
DebtJoe
Regular Contributor

@Moni209 wrote:
Thank you all!

If you are paying back the debt, you'll be fine.

It's not like the card got into a charged off status and they had to pursue you for collecting.....(Did they, lol?) They will take a hard look at your history for sure, but as long as you remain positive I think you're fine.

Chase tends to be brutal if you've burned them, but this doesn't sound like that.

8/1/2018 FICO Scores:

6/29/2021 FICO Scores:
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are your repayment terms? If you can afford to keep making payments do it. (1) paying off money one owes is just the right thing to do (even if it takes a long time) and (2) if you decide to just let it slide, after 6 months they will charge off the account which will be a huge hit on your credit report that will hurt you for 7 years. I just found out (2) the hard way.

Message 6 of 13
Moni209
Contributor

Im still paying as agreed to the terms they gave me doing 75.00 per month but will start paying them more, thank you all

Current Score: 4•29 | EQ 666 | TU 673 | EX 666
Goal Score: 730
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a very IMO interesting situation and let me explain why. 

So back around 2016 I ran into credit issues and at the time I had a Chase Saphire, Chase Slate, Chase Amazon Prime and Chase SouthWest airlines.  My credit score was around 760 but due to reasons beyond my control I ran into financial issues and started missing payments. During this whole fiasco for a few months my credit score dropped to nearly 540 at one point I was getting hounded by calls and finally Chase closed out the Saphire card but kept the others open which are still open. The Chase Saphire went into collections for $14K owed. To this day my credit is rough but I managed in the past year to keep all my balances on the remaning 3 cards at nearly $0-700 at most and use my Southwest card monthly trying to get my credit restored. Just figured I would share this information to show that maybe someone like me with a lot of cards even showing low credit score is still an asset to them.

Message 8 of 13
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is a very IMO interesting situation and let me explain why. 

So back around 2016 I ran into credit issues and at the time I had a Chase Saphire, Chase Slate, Chase Amazon Prime and Chase SouthWest airlines.  My credit score was around 760 but due to reasons beyond my control I ran into financial issues and started missing payments. During this whole fiasco for a few months my credit score dropped to nearly 540 at one point I was getting hounded by calls and finally Chase closed out the Saphire card but kept the others open which are still open. The Chase Saphire went into collections for $14K owed. To this day my credit is rough but I managed in the past year to keep all my balances on the remaning 3 cards at nearly $0-700 at most and use my Southwest card monthly trying to get my credit restored. Just figured I would share this information to show that maybe someone like me with a lot of cards even showing low credit score is still an asset to them.

Did you ever pay Chase back for the CSP balance?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

No the card went to a collection agency that kept enticing me with offers. One was $2000 lump sum payment so I called them and asked that they send me a letter stating the terms and that they wouldn't sell off the remaining debit to another company. They refused to send a letter so I refused to do business witht them. A lot of stories with them selling off the remaning debit after getting a portion back. The CS agent kept stating that the letter then sent offering me $2000 lump sum payment was stating clearly the account would be settled but I didn't buy it into do to some of the wording. Manager got on the phone and stated he couldn't do that. This is the first time I heard a collection agency not want to send a simple letter stating what we spoke about it reaked of suspicion. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.