Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child Support ruining my financial life

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Child Support ruining my financial life

It'll get better once you start digging out of the hole.  How much is your child support?  What percentage of your income.  There are these child support calculator estimators online that give you a good idea of what you should be paying. When my ex and I split there was a time when he didnt comply and pay for 2.5 years.   It made it rough and I felt like I was never going to get out of the hole (darn childcare was 200wk) just so i could work.  What I did was offer him to take him every weekend.  He thought it was a free bonus but I went back to bartending as a second and third job(which i did when i was younger). Friday Sat and Sunday for brunch I'd grind out my shifts at two different bars to get cash so I could survive.  You gotta up your income anyway you can and I think you'll be okay Smiley Tongue Do you have any way to get a 2nd job?  I had no days off but it felt good not to stress at night over how to pay this bill or pay that bill.

Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

They set me at 1400 dollars a month for one child when I was bringing in 28-30k a year as a truck driver. It has never been at an acceptable rate. Everyone thinks that its so easy to get it fixed, but that all depends on which state is dealing with what. The enforcment state is fine and willing to work with me, but its were she is that actually makes the choices. She has moved and started cases in 6 states now and each time it restarts the case. I came close twice now. Once I had a judgment to get it lowered and all we had to do was wait 30 days for her to dispute it in some way with a reason and instead she moved across the river from Columbus GA to Phinix City, AL and voiding the case. I have ALWAYS had a case open for 13 years to get it adjusted, but until she moves into a state that is fair to the father, its just not going to happen. Because of the rate, I am in perpetiaul arrears. So I have half my pay garnished each payday. So that is 50%. Then don't forget taxes at 20-30%, or healthcare on a family plan of course per the decree.... It does not take a math major to see how unfair the system is. I work 12 hour days... I am not taking a second job, or could I because I have so many meetings and have to come in at all hours. I am in upper middle managment of a major trucking firm. Even if I did, I would again only come out of it with 10-15% of what I made just to work myself into a grave. I understand everyone thinks its some easy fix and I know the calculators, but the courts don't give a flying crap about calculators, or the fathers wellness. It has nothing to do with the child. It's all about power and money.

Don't get me wrong. I have a great relationship with my child. If I could have it my way she would be still with me. I actually faught tooth and nail for her. Her mother abandoned us both for over a year and I was forced to leave the Navy because of it after 10 years in. She only returned to fight for custody when it was drilled into her how much money was at stake. As soon as she showed up the courts demanded I give custody to her during the custody dispute knowing that whoever has custody during the procedings is almost always who ends up getting custody. Then they set me at 1400 a month when I was half way through a year that I would bring in 28.5k. So that is 16k+ for that same year. Not only that, they STARTED me in the arrears by 5000 dollars to back pay her private school that her mother put her in without any consent from me. Don't get me wrong, it was a great school, but still... Today I am sitting around 80k in the arrears. I have tried to do the math and figure in intrest. By the state law of the orginial divorce decree and judgment, I have to pay her mother (even if she is living with me going to a nearby University) until she is 21 if she is enrolled as a student. If that is so it appears I will owe her Mother still a quarter million 250,000 when it STOPS counting up. Of course I may not ever even keep up with the intrest, so I am pretty sure I will never pay it off and will owe her until I am buried. I will never get a tax refund again. I will never be able to help save for her collage (because she sure isnt going to). I will never be able to save anything substancial. I will never be able to travel outside the U.S. ever again. So ya, its not about feelings. I KNOW its unfair and unrealistic. I know society and the system is misandrist and sexist towards fathers. 

But anyways. That has been my life for 12 or so years now. I don't let it define me. I don't let it stop my drive for sucess. When every dime counts, you crave every promotion you can get, and I have had enough to keep me fed and sheltered. I will never be great, but hopefully if I fix this FICO I can at least enjoy a bit more flexibility if nothing else. Right now I just can't seem to get anything done lately.

Message 22 of 27
Rebuilder2016
Contributor

I personally think it is ridiculous what the courts make men pay and don't take into consideration that they have to live. My ex husband is ordered to pay $1250 monthly and I have never made him pay the full amount . He has paid me $750 and I carry the health insurance that he is suppose to carry because he does not have family coverage available through his job. He has recently had a hard time financially because he is going through another divorce and his current wife stuck him with bills. I told him he didn't have to pay child support until he could get back on his feet. I just don't understand women who can put the father of their children through such hardships. I don't want my ex husband to struggle to have money to take the kids to a movie or out to eat when it's his weekend to have them. That only makes it hard on my kids.
Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rebuilder2016

I cant express how much respect I have for someone like you. When my husband and his ex went through custody after thier divorce he had the opportunity to get full custody because she couldnt afford a lawyer. Instead of taking full custody he just wanted there to be an agreement that he would get time with his daughter. With that came the child support which started off reasonable at $294/mo. A year later she took him back to court demanding more money and won and now he pays $826/mo. Shortly after that happened he got laid off and went through a hard time and couldnt afford the amount. His wages are now garnished and there were times where he wouldnt even get a paycheck due to childsupport eating up the entire check. Im not even sure how something like that is legal for them to do. He has tried to fight it but was told there was nothing that could be done about it. Its refreshing to see someone who understands that Fathers are people too and need to eat, have a roof over there head and basically survive. Why would any mother deprive the father of thier child of being able to do that knowing in the end it effects the kids as well. When I read the OP it was amazing at how close his situation is to the one my husband went through.

Message 24 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rebuilder2016 wrote:
I personally think it is ridiculous what the courts make men pay and don't take into consideration that they have to live. My ex husband is ordered to pay $1250 monthly and I have never made him pay the full amount . He has paid me $750 and I carry the health insurance that he is suppose to carry because he does not have family coverage available through his job. He has recently had a hard time financially because he is going through another divorce and his current wife stuck him with bills. I told him he didn't have to pay child support until he could get back on his feet. I just don't understand women who can put the father of their children through such hardships. I don't want my ex husband to struggle to have money to take the kids to a movie or out to eat when it's his weekend to have them. That only makes it hard on my kids.

I can't thank you enough for UNDERSTANDING your role has 'part' of a 'team' of people that 'co-parent' children you both bought into the world.

I understand and 'get' that 'some' men need to be 'pushed' but you seem to 'get' that IF you and your ex were in the same h/h ...Everybody in the house

tightens their belts and the 'family' moves forward.....nobody runs to 'tab' for ice cream or other things missed during a valley of life........

Except in child support court....when my 'one income' family (of two ppl) hit a valley 'we' hit a valley, we eat pb&j's  but once the money came back nobody ever 'owed' us kids 'back the movies we may have missed or extra x-mas toys from a lean year....it's just life but some most c/s folks just lump it forward let's NOT 'real-life'.

You are a wonderful parent for your 'shared' children as well as a great example of how to live life in a fair and respectful way as an example FOR your children.

My ex and I do the same FOR our kids and I love how you 'get' that you don't want to put additional stress on your kids Dad, it's bad all the way around if not.

Kudos

Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi OP,

In my state, you can just contact the childsupport agency and they will make an investigation of both parents income and fill out a worksheet which dictates how much you will owe. They must have this in your state. Call them and request an income verification of both parents and see how much you should be paying. Nothing goes to court, they may file court papers but it is basically all in house at the child support agency for my state.All over the phone this can be done.

I know States may be different but I was just giving you my experiences. I hope you get your payments lowered. I to pay child support. Listen to the others on how to start fixing your credit with the secured credit cards and loans. Make a paymeht schedule with childsupport so that they do not garnish your wages. Request a hearing, which is basically in the child support agency office for my state, but all is filed with the court. You do not need a Lawyer for this.

Message 26 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just want to say i feel your pain, i owe over 30k in child support and it has been on my credit report going on 10 years. i have been trying to get a court date for quite some time but the legal system will take there sweet time. Child support is so high that even tho they take out the wages the interset is so high that i truly cant pay it to keep it from stop climbing since i have been paying for three years non stop. but im not giving up on my credit score i was at fico 535 on 12/25/15 and as of today im at 590 fico. i still owe a few medical bills , sprint and cable company. right now i have one secured cc with cap one and i just got my discover secured cc. theres nothing more i can do the help my credit score but garden and hope that one day i can get my child support fixed because i want to own a home but i pretty sure no bank will with child support on my record. so i going to have to pick up a second job and hope in three years it will be fully paid for and off my record.

does anyone know if child support will fall off after 10 years of being closed on a credit report?

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.