Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child support arrears.

tag
MacMan313
Contributor

Child support arrears.

I recently went to court because my ex filed a petition to increase my child support. She was awarded an increase so an arrears balance of $1900 was calculated from her complaint date to the award date. Then the court and I made an agreement that I would pay a percentage of that balance until the arrears was resolved. I was never told or informed that the balance had to be paid in full at the time of the order.

Today, got an alert from myFICO. Sure enough, the child support account posted to my reports as a collection account. When this posted, it dipped my score down even further into the ground.

Those that have been following my posts may have noticed that I recently had a CH7 discharged. How will this be held against me when applying for credit when rebuilding my report.

Is it fair that Im being penalized for following the terms of the agreement? I haven NEVER missed a payment.  I can understand that this methodality exists to punish those who do not meet their obligations. I feel like im being treated negatively for no absolute reason. 

I fear that when i do pay the balance it will continue to be listed as a closed collection account and hurt me for the next 7-10 years.

Has anyone ever faced a similar situtation? How was it resolved.

EQ: 646 TU: 653 EX: 658 [CH7 Discharge 10/14]

PayPal Credit $2000 | Credit One Platinum $1200 | Grain $1000 | Capital One Quicksilver $700 | Capital One Quicksilver $500 | BrightWay $500 | Capital One Walmart Rewards $300
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Child support arrears.

You apparently dont have a delinquency, and thus you dont have basis for reporting of a collection on a delinquent debt.

They would need evidency of a billing due date setting an amount due, and then a showing that you were delinquent.

I would begin by filing a direct dispute with the debt collector, asserting lack of any deliquent debt.

If they verify, then next step might be to file a formal complaint with the CFPB for improper credit reporting and/or filing your own civil action.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.