cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Collection/Charge Off - Goodwill Letter?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Collection/Charge Off - Goodwill Letter?

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so thanks in advance for any and all help you might offer!

I'm in a bit of a predicament, I have a sense of what to do but not sure how to go about it or if I even should. Basically, I ended up in a situation where I was not able to pay off any of my bills or credit card debt for almost 2-3 years. I lost my job at the time and was unemployed for the better part of a year and a half or so. Consequently, my credit card payment came to a halt and my accounts started getting closed one by one - probably one of the scariest moments of my life so far, especially since it happend during and after college.

26, broke and jobless, I somehow found a part-time gig last year which turned into a full-blown career and I offically started working full-time in October of 2016. All the money I made durin the part-time job, I used to pay off all my credit card debt and essentially started my full-time career debt free! As good as that may sound, one my closed Citi credit cards, the Citi Diamond Preferred, was sent to collections. I ended up paying a lumpsum amount and settling the debt for less than the original but I was so scared at the time, I didn't really consider my credit score or that fact that I could've potentially made some sort of deal to have the account reported on my Credit Report in a way that would mitigate the damage.

After recently using the "CreditWise" app from CapitalOne, I saw that the account that was sent to collections and settled is being reported as:

--

Date Reported:                Aug 19, 2016

Payment Status:              Collection/Chargeoff

Account Status:               Paid

Account Details: --

Payment Details:

Date of Last Payment:  May 10, 2016

Monthly Payment:         $0

Payment Frequency:    Not Reported

Worst Pay Status:          Unknown

Remarks:

Payment after charge off/collection. Settled - less than full balance.

--

The "COLLECTION/CHARGEOFF" status has really been killing my scores and any hope of potential plans that revolve around credit in the future! I researched and found that I could write a "goodwill letter" to the credit card company and request that the status be changed but then I also read some bad stories, specifically with Citi when dealing with "goodwill letters."

I'm in the process of trying to get my life back together and I really don't know what to do with this particular situation - do you think I have a fighting chance against Citi with getting the status changed on my credit reports? Any advice or insight would be awesome!

Thanks agaiin!

-s

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citi Collection/Charge Off - Goodwill Letter?

This is a relatively new settled account and OCs dont like to grant GW that often unless the item is near the end of its run on your CR. What I would do is wait 1 yr from the settlement and then begin your GW letter efforts to the reporting creditor.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.