Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Goodwill Denial - with a tiny lie

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Goodwill Denial - with a tiny lie

Hello everyone, I have tried many times to get Citi to remove charge offs, but this time the woman is pretty much lying via mail. She is claiming Citi never sold the debt to a 3rd party collection agency. This debt was charged off in 2012, and I settled the debt in 2014 with the various colleciton agencies. Before I tried settling the debt with the collection agencies, I called Citi and their recovery unit had informed me that they can't take payments on this account and this account is now being handled by x,y,z collection agencies. I never settled anything with them directly. Is there anything I can do to remove these stubborn charge offs? She is definitely bs'ing me. 

Any help would be gladly welcomed!

Thanks.

January 28, 2016

Michael XXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX

Citi(R) / AAdvantage(R) Platinum Select(R)
Account ending in 1328

Citi ThankYou(R) Preferred
Account ending in 0278

Sears
Account ending in 3788

Dear Mr. XXXXXX:

We have received your inquiries that were submitted to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and the New York Better Business Bureau regarding the credit bureau reporting of the above-referenced accounts.

Your account ending in 1328 was charged off in September 2012 due to its delinquency.  Although this account was not sold, it was referred to Northland Group for handling.  This account was settled and final adjustments were applied to your account in July 2014.

Due to the delinquency of your account ending in 0278, it was charged off in October 2012.  Although this account was not sold, it was referred to Affinity Global for handling.  This account settled and final adjustments were applied to your account in April 2014.

As to your Sears account, it was charged off in November 2012 due to the level of delinquency. This account was not sold or placed with an agency.  You settled the account with us in March 2014.  

As your accounts were not sold, your credit profile at the consumer reporting agencies includes a record of how you have maintained your accounts with us.  The account information and payment history in your credit report are correct and will not be changed.  However, you may place a consumer statement on your credit profile to explain any extenuating circumstances that may have prevented you from making payments.

I appreciate the opportunity to respond to your inquiry.

Sincerely,

Donna Pearson
Executive Response Unit
1-605-731-3249*

FEDERAL REGULATIONS REQUIRE THE STATEMENT PRINTED ON THE REVERSE SIDE

*Our telecommunication number for our hearing impaired customers is 1-800-325-2865.

AmericanAirlines, AAdvantage and Million Miler are marks of American Airlines, Inc.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Goodwill Denial - with a tiny lie

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone, I have tried many times to get Citi to remove charge offs, but this time the woman is pretty much lying via mail. She is claiming Citi never sold the debt to a 3rd party collection agency. This debt was charged off in 2012, and I settled the debt in 2014 with the various colleciton agencies. Before I tried settling the debt with the collection agencies, I called Citi and their recovery unit had informed me that they can't take payments on this account and this account is now being handled by x,y,z collection agencies. I never settled anything with them directly. Is there anything I can do to remove these stubborn charge offs? She is definitely bs'ing me. 

Any help would be gladly welcomed!

Thanks.

January 28, 2016

Michael XXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX

Citi(R) / AAdvantage(R) Platinum Select(R)
Account ending in 1328

Citi ThankYou(R) Preferred
Account ending in 0278

Sears
Account ending in 3788

Dear Mr. XXXXXX:

We have received your inquiries that were submitted to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and the New York Better Business Bureau regarding the credit bureau reporting of the above-referenced accounts.

Your account ending in 1328 was charged off in September 2012 due to its delinquency.  Although this account was not sold, it was referred to Northland Group for handling.  This account was settled and final adjustments were applied to your account in July 2014.

Due to the delinquency of your account ending in 0278, it was charged off in October 2012.  Although this account was not sold, it was referred to Affinity Global for handling.  This account settled and final adjustments were applied to your account in April 2014.

As to your Sears account, it was charged off in November 2012 due to the level of delinquency. This account was not sold or placed with an agency.  You settled the account with us in March 2014.  

As your accounts were not sold, your credit profile at the consumer reporting agencies includes a record of how you have maintained your accounts with us.  The account information and payment history in your credit report are correct and will not be changed.  However, you may place a consumer statement on your credit profile to explain any extenuating circumstances that may have prevented you from making payments.

I appreciate the opportunity to respond to your inquiry.

Sincerely,

Donna Pearson
Executive Response Unit
1-605-731-3249*

FEDERAL REGULATIONS REQUIRE THE STATEMENT PRINTED ON THE REVERSE SIDE

*Our telecommunication number for our hearing impaired customers is 1-800-325-2865.

AmericanAirlines, AAdvantage and Million Miler are marks of American Airlines, Inc.

Simply because a CA handled the account, does not mean it was sold.  Many collectors contract with OC to do their collection activity for a fee or a percentage of the amount collected.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Norman is correct.  Also, sometimes they company has their own in house collection agency.   For example:  Labcorb has LCA collections,

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

.... and more importantly, how the debt was paid and to whom is irrlevant to the fact that they did a charge-off.

The CO can properly reman of record regardless of whether the debt was paid or whether they sold the debt.

The remedy for removal of the reporting of the charge-off is to secure their good-will deletion.

Arguing about secondary issues or accusing them of not being truthful is not likely to further any grant of good-will.

I would contact someone in upper management and plead your case on the merits of having paid the debt, and thus requesting their removal of the reporting of their prior determination that the debt was not likely to be paid, which is the effect of reporting of a CO.

Keep to the issue, not a side-issue that is unrelated to their reporting.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.