cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi - reported 30 days late by one day, paid in full now, reported last week...come on guys

tag
oceanbay
Established Member

Citi - reported 30 days late by one day, paid in full now, reported last week...come on guys

I know I'm not the typical rebuilding credit story and I don't mean to get in the way of anyone else's situation, but I am absolutely furious.

Before last week, my credit score, pulled officially from all 3 agencies was nearly 800. I have over $180,000 in credit limit, with only ~$100 used. Unfortunately for me, that $100 was on an account (citi best buy credit card) that did not have autopay on.

TLDR: credit score dropped to 700 overnight. That's my only blemish, on the entire report, outside of recent card openings (for business accts) and for an auto loan. Simply, between my small business end-of-the-year tax situation and shopping for a car, I missed the $100 balance.

I think they might have used the automated system to call me, but I have literally 2-3 robocalls from fake numbers every day. With car shopping, I had 2-3 dealers calling nearly every day. Also - last week when my account was due - we had power/cell/internet outages for nearly the entire week thanks to the Texas snow storm.

Is there anything I can possibly do given that it's so recent, now paid in full, and is my only blemish on the account over 5 years?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi - reported 30 days late by one day, paid in full now, reported last week...come on guys

@oceanbay wrote:

I know I'm not the typical rebuilding credit story and I don't mean to get in the way of anyone else's situation, but I am absolutely furious.

Before last week, my credit score, pulled officially from all 3 agencies was nearly 800. I have over $180,000 in credit limit, with only ~$100 used. Unfortunately for me, that $100 was on an account (citi best buy credit card) that did not have autopay on.

TLDR: credit score dropped to 700 overnight. That's my only blemish, on the entire report, outside of recent card openings (for business accts) and for an auto loan. Simply, between my small business end-of-the-year tax situation and shopping for a car, I missed the $100 balance.

I think they might have used the automated system to call me, but I have literally 2-3 robocalls from fake numbers every day. With car shopping, I had 2-3 dealers calling nearly every day.

Is there anything I can possibly do given that it's so recent, now paid in full, and is my only blemish on the account over 5 years?

You can call them and see if they will do a one-time goodwill adjustment. Be very nice. Explain the situation calmly. You are asking them a favor. Unfortunately one day late, is really 31 days late. That is why they reported it to the bureaus. It is not personal, I am sure it is all automated. Maybe set uo reminders, etc. Make sure that you explain what you have done to ensure this will not happen again (set up auto pay, reminders to check the account on a regular basis, etc.) and swallow a little pride and sincerely apologize for the oversight. Just keep in mind your credit is on the line when talking to them.

If they are unable, unwilling to do a goodwill adjustment, HUCA and/or run it up the chain of command, and speak to a supervisor/manager, etc.

If all that fails, work on a goodwill campaign reaching out to executive level employees.

You can search the forum for any data points on success with citi/best buy for GW requests and see if others have been so lucky.

Some creditors have a policy of a one-time courtesy adjustment, so start there.

Whatever you do, do not dispute it, as the creditor will be aware of this and will probably not take lightly your disputing of accurate reporting info. It was late and it did happen, unfortunately. Disouting will get you no where but more heartache.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi - reported 30 days late by one day, paid in full now, reported last week...come on guys

@Anonymous wrote:

@oceanbay wrote:

I think they might have used the automated system to call me, but I have literally 2-3 robocalls from fake numbers every day. With car shopping, I had 2-3 dealers calling nearly every day.

You can call them and see if they will do a one-time goodwill adjustment. Be very nice. Explain the situation calmly. You are asking them a favor. Unfortunately one day late, is really 31 days late. That is why they reported it to the bureaus. It is not personal, I am sure it is all automated. Maybe set uo reminders, etc. Make sure that you explain what you have done to ensure this will not happen again (set up auto pay, reminders to check the account on a regular basis, etc.) and swallow a little pride and sincerely apologize for the oversight. Just keep in mind your credit is on the line when talking to them.

If they are unable, unwilling to do a goodwill adjustment, HUCA and/or run it up the chain of command, and speak to a supervisor/manager, etc.

If all that fails, work on a goodwill campaign reaching out to executive level employees.

You can search the forum for any data points on success with citi/best buy for GW requests and see if others have been so lucky.

Some creditors have a policy of a one-time courtesy adjustment, so start there.

Whatever you do, do not dispute it, as the creditor will be aware of this and will probably not take lightly your disputing of accurate reporting info. It was late and it did happen, unfortunately. Disouting will get you no where but more heartache.

Good luck!

The main point is to be NICE. You can be furious,  but you should be angry at yourself and not them.  They did everything they needed to do - statements, made auto pay available, probably tried contacting you - but you simply didn't pay on time.  They won't be interested in excuses. 

If you can't get the late removed - and that will be an uphill battle, let's be honest  - it will remain on your report for 7 years (5 if you live in NY, I believe). 

Good luck!

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

What was the billing due date, and when was the payment made?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.