cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CitiBank Judgment - How Should I Handle This?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CitiBank Judgment - How Should I Handle This?

I opened a Credit Card through CitiBank in February of 2004 when I had just finished college. I moved around a bit in the small college town I was in and stopped receiving the bill and forgot about it (which is my fault for not updating my address). They filed a judgment against me in June of 2005 and I satisfied it in September of 2009. I have since opened another account with them in May of 2010 and haven't been late on any payments.

That account shows up twice on my credit report, once as a chargeoff (only reported through Experian) dated January 2009 and the other as a Judgment (only reported through Experian & Equifax) filed in 6/05 and satisfied in 6/09.

I trying to figure out how to get these off my credit report. Should I dispute it or write a goodwill letter? How could I get the judgment removed?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: CitiBank Judgment - How Should I Handle This?

It sounds like the only thing you can do is write a GW letter asking them to delete.  The only way to get a judgment removed is to go back to court and have it "vacated" - usually because you were not served properly is the biggest way I've read about. 

Otherwise, get your credit reports from annualcreditreport.com which will list the date they are due to drop off your reports.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I were to write a good letter and they agreed to remove it, would it remove the Chargeoff listing and the judgement as well, or just the chargeoff part?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

anyone have any ideas?

Message 4 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

If they decided to remove, I'd think they'd remove only the CO. If I get this right, the judgment is being reported by the court and you'd have to get plaintiff's attorneys to help in removing that if paid. Look around for more info. Others have been successful in soliciting help in that manner. If your CC was opened in 2004, and a judgment obtained in 6/2005, then the DOFD of the debt would have between those two dates somewhere. At the latest, any baddies in that Citi will have to disappear by next June at the latest. Since creditors don't sue the first day you are late, I bet months had passed after the CO date and the judgment. In other words, I bet it'll fall off any second on Experian. I vote to doing nothing to the CO, though I personally would go after the judgment.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh ok. I actually just disputed the chargeoff with Experian because of the age of this. I am hopeful theyll just delete it because its about to fall off soon anyways.

Is it possible to get the Judgements off my credit report before June of 2012. Seeing as its less than a year away, is it even worth messing with?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

anyone?

Message 7 of 9
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@llecs wrote:

If they decided to remove, I'd think they'd remove only the CO. If I get this right, the judgment is being reported by the court and you'd have to get plaintiff's attorneys to help in removing that if paid. Look around for more info. Others have been successful in soliciting help in that manner. If your CC was opened in 2004, and a judgment obtained in 6/2005, then the DOFD of the debt would have between those two dates somewhere. At the latest, any baddies in that Citi will have to disappear by next June at the latest. Since creditors don't sue the first day you are late, I bet months had passed after the CO date and the judgment. In other words, I bet it'll fall off any second on Experian. I vote to doing nothing to the CO, though I personally would go after the judgment.

DH disputed judgment to show as paid and the collections that resulted in the judgment.  Judgment deleted and collections remain.  It was a direct dispute with TU and EQ.  I'm pretty sure they just had their computer do it or whatever, saw that his address didn't match, and it was gone. 

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

interesting. I am going to try that out. What was the reason for his dispute?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.