Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class Action Lawsuit against Midland notification

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Class Action Lawsuit against Midland notification

I'd be willing to wave my portion for a deletion of the account. Wonder if you can strike up a deal like that? Lol
Message 11 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone find out if this is legit? I was filling it out but got scared when it asked me the last 4 of my social
Message 12 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the postcard too.  2006-2014 is a LONG period of time.

It says if you file a claim and you owe money they'll forgive a portion or all of what you owe, or if you don't owe money they'll send you a check out of a much smaller amount of the settlement funds. (Bold and italics are inserted by me as emphasis):

A Class Member’s recovery depends on how much, if anything, the individual owes Defendants on their collection account with Defendants and the number of valid claims submitted. Defendants' collection accounts generally are established when Defendants purchase obligations owed to creditors. If the Class Member owes Defendants nothing on the collection account or no collection account exists, then that Class Member may be entitled to a one time pro rata share ("Individual Cash Settlement Amount") from the $2,000,000 Cash Component of the Settlement Fund after the incentive awards to be paid to Plaintiffs and any fees owed to any Special Master appointed by the Court are deducted. The Settlement Administrator will issue this payment by way of check. The funds represented by the check for the Individual Cash Settlement Amount shall not become the property of any individual Class Member unless and until the check representing those funds is cashed.

If there is an outstanding balance owed by the Class Member to Defendants on a collection account, then that Class Member may be entitled to a one-time forgiveness of the money owed to Defendants of the lesser of (1) a pro rata share of the $13,000,000 of debt forgiveness (which is calculated by dividing $13,000,000 by the number of valid Claim Forms received from Class Members who have an outstanding balance on a collection account); or (2) the balance owed on the collection account.

In the event that any portion of the Cash Component of the Settlement Fund remains unclaimed, or any check sent to any Class Member remains un-cashed for more than 180 days after issuance, then such unclaimed or un-cashed funds will, subject to approval by the Court, become part of the Settlement Fund for cy pres distribution to organizations mutually agreed upon by the parties and approved by the Court.

I got the above information from the website https://www.midlandtcpasettlement.com as indicated on the postcard.  As someone who has gotten cards and letters about class action lawsuits multiple times and have actually gotten a couple checks here and there, it looks completely legitimate to my eyes or at least exactly like any of the other informational class action websites and mailed information.  

Message 13 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I reading this right that if I owe midland and qualify for this that they will forgive the debt? I don't owe them much. I was going to reach out to them to try to pay but should I wait a few months? The debt is about 3 years old but still reports.
Message 14 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the postcard today and just went online to file a claim. Back in 2011 this company called me nearly everyday. 

Message 15 of 58
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

Has anyone tried claiming on that site? I know when I put in my number it said I qualified probably because they must have called me too many times, I dont even remember how many phone calls I have avoided in that period.

Message 16 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

The cell numbers for both my husband and I qualify so I put in our claims. I just payed them in March dangit. Hope I get some decent money back other like the $15 I got from a different class action.
Message 17 of 58
bracholi

I remember that for awhile they robocalled me non-stop, including before 8am, and with different numbers... Not sure whether to join the class or not. I mean obviously the records indicating I was an effected "victim" of MLC's practices are available somehow to somebody. I personally think that the settlement terms are not fair or reasonable. Kick another 0 onto the end of that number, before the decimal point of course, because I for sure don't feel that their repeated violations to collect 400 bucks should be forgiven by them "forgiving" my debt. Maybe if they also had to refund the OC they bought the debt from as well.

Message 18 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Am I reading this right that if I owe midland and qualify for this that they will forgive the debt? I don't owe them much. I was going to reach out to them to try to pay but should I wait a few months? The debt is about 3 years old but still reports.

This is my interpretation, or at least they'll forgive a portion of the debt they say you owe.

It depends on how many people file legit claims and how much money there is to spread around.  I've gotten a couple class action checks before but it's never been very much money so I don't know if they'll fully forgive the debt they say you owe or not.  That remains to be seen.  If you don't owe them any money then you should get a check but that amount will likely be significantly less than what you pay because the cash portion of the settlement is significantly less than the debt forgiveness portion.

It's all speculation as to how much anyone gets in these sorts of things until after it's all said and done.

Message 19 of 58
JMCB
Regular Contributor

I never received a post card but that could be because of a new address from the original debt. But I have never changed my phone number. So I filled out the info on the website and entered my phone number, it did a search and said my number qualified and then once submitted it said someone would contact me. Its worth a shot!

Message 20 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.