Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class Action Lawsuit against Midland notification

tag
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

Re: Class Action Lawsuit against Midland notification

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay guys I joined the lawsuit about 2-3 weeks ago.  I had already disputed midland through equifax it came back Monday that it meet all requirements.  Today I check credit karma and that account has been closed with Transunion?  I know CK is not always accurate.  I need to go ahead and join a new site to get accurate info.  Anyone else see any difference closed or deleted accounts on any CR?  

Experian updated so the dispute didn't work, still waiting on TU and EQ disputes.  The only thing I see is that ERC is deleted on all 3 and so is Calvary (BBB complaint for them).

Praying to see Midland off soon, then all I'll have to deal with is PRA!

Starting all over again!
Message 41 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kennerchick I am going to send you a pm. 

Message 42 of 58
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

Does anyone have any other info on this?

I can see Midland has closed the collection on my husbands reports, but they are still there Smiley Sad

I know the final approval hearing is scheduled for August 26, 2016 at 9:00 a.m. and I know the settlement is "Payments or one-time debt forgiveness"  if the Court approves the settlement and after any appeals are resolved.

Does this mean deletion too? 

Starting all over again!
Message 43 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

The notice did not specifically ask for deletion just forgiveness. I was PO'd I paid then got the information on the lawsuit so I'll probably get a check for $3.00
Message 44 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Received letter today stating ”we have determined that you are an authorized claimant and will receive a pro rata share of the Settlement Common Fund. According to the records of Defendants Midland Credit management, Inc., Midland Funding, LLC, and Encore Capital Group, Inc. (collectively, “Defendants”), you owe money to Defendants on one or more accounts. Accordingly, pursuant to the Settlement Agreement, your recovery from the settlement will be in the form of a credit against the money you owe Defendants, and the amount you owe Defendants will be reduced by the amount of the credit.”

..Continues on..

“however, based on the data we presently have, we estimate that the pro rata credit will be at least approximately $54, but it could be more depending on how many claimants respond to this letter by contesting that they owe money to Defendants.”

The Settlement Agreement requires that we advise you by this letter that you may contest that you owe money to Defendants. (skipped some) however, if you believe you do not owe Defendants any money, and you want to contest Defendants statement that you owe money, you may do so described herein. If you contest in good faith that you owe money to Defendants, you will receive a portion of the cash component of the Settlement Common Fund instead of a credit to your account(s). The individual pro rata amount of the cash component of the Settlement Common Fund that will be paid to each authorized claimant who will receive cash is unknown at this time but it will be less the amount of debt credits that will be paid to each authorized claimant who will receive debt credits. Based on the data we presently have, we estimate that the cash paid to each claimant will be no more than approximately $28, but it could be less depending on how many claimants respond to this letter by contesting that they owe money to Defendants."

"To contest Defendants’ statement that you owe them money, you must tell us that by doing on of the following no later than 07/20/2016: (didn’t copy)

Any statement by you that you do not believe you owe money to the Defendants will be made only in connection with this settlement and will not constitute a dispute of the validity of your debt under the fair Debt Collection Practices Act or any other federal, state, or local law or regulations”

So, for me, Midland currently has 2 accounts, one with a first date of delinquency 05/2010 and the other 06/2010. I have never asked them for validation as I was hoping once out of SOL it eventually fall of.

What do you guys suggest? It'd be nice to get these off my reports!!!!!!!!

Message 45 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Boo! It sounds like they'll just give you $54 or slightly more bucks off the debt... or if you tell them you don't believe you owe any money to Midland, they'll just give you a check for $28 or less.

To me, the wording doesn't sound like they'll actually investigate if you claim you don't owe, but will automatically just give you the cash. That's how it sounds to me at least.

Either way, this is dissappointing. I don't really need 54 off Midland because I doubt I will be paying them off... I'll just wait 2 years until it falls off. And a $28 dollar check isn't much.

I was really hoping they would just delete...

Message 46 of 58
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

We haven't received anything at all!  I was hoping for the forgiveness, not a payment towards them! I'll never pay them off!  I would rather just wait the next 3 yrs if I can't get them removed before then.

Why even have a CA suit if they are only going to offer so little? So many people will say they don't owe! LOL

Starting all over again!
Message 47 of 58
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

Potential Award Varies.

The Midland class action settlement will award Class Members either debt forgiveness or a cash payout.

Class Members who have an outstanding debt with MCM will receive a divided portion of the $13 million debt forgiveness fund which will be shared among all Class Members who submit a valid claim.

Midland Credit Management settlement Class Members who owe nothing to the creditors will receive a one-time, divided portion of the $2 million cash settlement fund which will be shared with all Class Members who submit a valid claim.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/closed-settlements/309177-midland-credit-management-...

Starting all over again!
Message 48 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah, I am still deciding what to do. I think I am just going to go with contest that I owe, just for the simple fact that's true! I never signed anything with Midland & don't even know that they rightfully, legally own the accounts

Message 49 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well at least you got SOMETHING.  I did not receive any letters from Midland, even though I had 5 different numbers qualify.

I think there is a clause in these things where it says if you submit multiple claims they may all be voided. I doubt that's what's happenning though.  I think it's just taking them time to mail everything out.  My last name starts with a Z. Lol.

Message 50 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.