Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Climbing to the top, but now I'm stuck!

tag
Jervo007
New Contributor

Climbing to the top, but now I'm stuck!

Hello friends!

New here. Ive been on a credit building binge for the last year or so. Started at 567 back in August of last year, and FF til today, all three bureaus are reporting 707 or about the same give or take. I'm proud of my progress, but I do know its more than JUST the score. So, my climb continues.

The Good:

Hard inquiries: 1

Derogatory Marks: 0

Credit Card Utilization: Less than 10-15% (Have to or my score TANKS - So I just pay as I go)

2 open accounts:

Discover Card - Opened this card as a secured card May of 2018. $1000 CL, graduated to unsecured and they CLI'd me to $1,750 in December of 2018 and sent me a check for the $1,000 back. I always pay the balance every month. Current/Never late

Apartment - $2250/month - Opened March 2019. Current/Never late

The Bad

4 closed accounts:

82% Payment History

Car Loan from 2013 - Five late payments (5/0/0/)

Car Loan from 2016 -  Five late payments (5/0/0/)

Cap One Credit Card - $320 CL - Charge off back in 2015

Wells Fargo Secured Card -  Opened Dec of 2016. $300 CL - Three late payments (2/1/0/) - Creditor cancelled the card Feb of 2018 (currently disputing this to just have the account removed since it was secured)

Looking back at this.. what the hell was I thinking?? I just wasn't taking things seriously at all. 

So, I want to continue building and improving my credit but the above items are really making it hard. I called Discover today to see if they would give me a CLI, and I was denied because of my past delinquencies stated above.. I know as time moves on these items will begin to drop off. But, waiting is rough! 

I'd like to open another credit card

I'd like to lease a vehicle in the next 30 days or so

But, if Discover won’t even give me a CLI on a card I've paid the balance off each month and on time for the last 15 months in a row, how can I expect to accomplish opening new accounts? I use Credit Karma - and I have so many credit card offers from American Express to travel cards and rewards cards all stating “Good to excellent” approval odds. But based on my example above, I just don’t think my chances are all that great.

So where do I go from here?? The wifr and I are having a baby in October and it would be nice to have extra credit if I need. 

Also - anyone have a coupon code for Myfico? The pricing is a bit steep. I use NerdWallet, Wallet Hub, Credit Karma, Transunion, Experian apps... would be nice to just use a single solution. But $40/month? Oyyy. 

Thanks for stopping by!

Amex Gold | Amex BCP | Amex BBP | Discover Cash Back | Citi Costco Anywhere | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Ink Business Cash | Capital One QS
EX8: 774 | TU8: 744 | EQ8: 744 | Fico 9: 792
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Climbing to the top, but now I'm stuck!

The Bad

4 closed accounts:

82% Payment History

Car Loan from 2013 - Five late payments (5/0/0/) PIF?

Car Loan from 2016 -  Five late payments (5/0/0/) PIF?

Cap One Credit Card - $320 CL - Charge off back in 2015 PAY THIS OFF

Wells Fargo Secured Card -  Opened Dec of 2016. $300 CL - Three late payments (2/1/0/) - Creditor cancelled the card Feb of 2018 (currently disputing this to just have the account removed since it was secured) DID THIS CLOSE WITH A BALANCE OWED? DID YOU GET YOUR DEPOSIT BACK?

Message 2 of 6
Jervo007
New Contributor

Amex Gold | Amex BCP | Amex BBP | Discover Cash Back | Citi Costco Anywhere | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Ink Business Cash | Capital One QS
Message 3 of 6
Jervo007
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The Bad

4 closed accounts:

82% Payment History

Car Loan from 2013 - Five late payments (5/0/0/) PIF? YES

Car Loan from 2016 -  Five late payments (5/0/0/) PIF? YES

Cap One Credit Card - $320 CL - Charge off back in 2015 PAY THIS OFF. The Cap 1 was charged off and sent to collections, which I ended up paying. This collections account dropped off sometime ago.

Wells Fargo Secured Card -  Opened Dec of 2016. $300 CL - Three late payments (2/1/0/) - Creditor cancelled the card Feb of 2018 (currently disputing this to just have the account removed since it was secured) DID THIS CLOSE WITH A BALANCE OWED? DID YOU GET YOUR DEPOSIT BACK? The Wells Fargo Secured card did close with a balance below the CL. I did not recieve the difference back though. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jervo007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The Bad

4 closed accounts:

82% Payment History

Car Loan from 2013 - Five late payments (5/0/0/) PIF? YES

Car Loan from 2016 -  Five late payments (5/0/0/) PIF? YES

Cap One Credit Card - $320 CL - Charge off back in 2015 PAY THIS OFF. The Cap 1 was charged off and sent to collections, which I ended up paying. This collections account dropped off sometime ago.

Wells Fargo Secured Card -  Opened Dec of 2016. $300 CL - Three late payments (2/1/0/) - Creditor cancelled the card Feb of 2018 (currently disputing this to just have the account removed since it was secured) DID THIS CLOSE WITH A BALANCE OWED? DID YOU GET YOUR DEPOSIT BACK? The Wells Fargo Secured card did close with a balance below the CL. I did not recieve the difference back though.

Ok, is the Cap 1 account still showing a balance of $320, or is it now reporting as $0, which would be correct. If so, now it's just a matter of waiting for it to drop off, since Cap 1 will not delete the CO. What was the DoFD?

Regarding WF, you should have received the difference between the amount owed & the security deposit. You will probably not have any luck getting it removed, secured or not has no bearing on the reporting of lates, but you are entitled to the difference, minus any legitimate fees.

Message 5 of 6
Jervo007
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok, is the Cap 1 account still showing a balance of $320, or is it now reporting as $0, which would be correct. If so, now it's just a matter of waiting for it to drop off, since Cap 1 will not delete the CO. What was the DoFD? It's reporting as $0. I opened the account so many years ago. Looking back, November of 2012. 

Regarding WF, you should have received the difference between the amount owed & the security deposit. You will probably not have any luck getting it removed, secured or not has no bearing on the reporting of lates, but you are entitled to the difference, minus any legitimate fees. Yeah, I agree - trying just in case. But - I never received the difference or even a letter stating anything. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.