Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close to score needed for VA loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Close to score needed for VA loan

Ok so my lease on my overpriced apartment ends the end of Sept, and I would like to be in a house by October or as close to it as possible.  my middle score is 608.

I have a couple small derog accounts that I dont know what to do with.  Everything ive ever seen has said do not pay derog accounts off because once they get on your credit report the damage is done.   That being said out of the 3 or 4 derogs i have (depending on which bureau you look at)  two of them are really small.  like 240 and 280.  I could easily pay them off completely right now if i wanted but I dont want to if they wont help my score.  I know it could look better for manual underwriters, and with my low score ill most likely run into this.   What would you do ?  Pay off?  Only pay off if they agree to PFD?  also do I deal with the original creditor or the company it was sold to?  one is verizon and the other is a gym that screwed me when i moved outta state. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Close to score needed for VA loan

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok so my lease on my overpriced apartment ends the end of Sept, and I would like to be in a house by October or as close to it as possible.  my middle score is 608.

I have a couple small derog accounts that I dont know what to do with.  Everything ive ever seen has said do not pay derog accounts off because once they get on your credit report the damage is done.  Once paid off they quit reporting and the fall off clock begins from DoFD. That being said out of the 3 or 4 derogs i have (depending on which bureau you look at)  two of them are really small.  like 240 and 280. Pay them.  I could easily pay them off completely right now if i wanted but I dont want to if they wont help my score.  I know it could look better for manual underwriters, and with my low score ill most likely run into this.   What would you do ?  Pay off? Yep Only pay off if they agree to PFD? You can try the PFD route. also do I deal with the original creditor or the company it was sold to?  one is verizon Verizon doesnt do PFD. But pay it before they give up and sell it to collections and aviod a new collection on your reports.and the other is a gym that screwed me when i moved outta state. 

If you could list the CA's. If its Midland or Portfolio. They will delete if the debt is more than 2yrs old. Now whats the CC situation? How many cards. Util. Any baddies there? Score are low yes. But it seems the CC side has some work to do also. We can help if you list your CL's and balances owed.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Close to score needed for VA loan

ok so here is a rundown of my credit card history.

I have 2 charged off from Capital one and Credit one for $500 and $800, they were old secured cards I got after my chap 7 but unfortunately when I fell into some hard times and let them go.  

My current open accounts are:

Citi Secured: $300 limit, $0 balance  

Deepwater Credit Union Secured Visa:  $300 limit, $18 balance

Authorized user on my fiances Discover with $7,000 credit limit, $217 balance.  (its her only card and she has like an 800 score, should i tell her to ask for a credit limit increase? would that help me?)

I've gotten my score high enough to where im getting some less than desirable pre-approved unsecured cards with high apr and yearly fees, should i get one since i pay all my balance off in full each month now?  I can get one now with a $1,000 credit limit, I have the mail sitting in my car. 

Im basically stuck waiting for these secured cards to be able to mature into normal cards.  They are each only 4 months old.  I have them set on auto pay to pay full balance 5 days before due date.  

The verizon account was sold to EOS-CCA and the gym one was sold to First Primier Services.  I am going to pay them both when I get paid, however I need to check on the verizon one because i think i accidentally paid verizon after they sold the debt.  if that is the case am i just gonna have to eat that money, or is there a way that can be resolved if I paid verizon after the debt was owned by EOS?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.