Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed Accounts - Charge-offs

tag
randaljon
Regular Contributor

Closed Accounts - Charge-offs

Can anything be done to repair or change a charge-off with orginial creditor? Or do you just have to wait it out 7 years?

Starting Scores(Jan/2011): EQ 564 TU 538 EXP 576
Current Score: EQ 692 TU 728 EXP 710 (Quizzle FAKO)Goal Score: 720

Wallet: Grow Visa 500, Capital One MC 2000, Capital One MC 1250, Paypal MC 3000, Jared 10500, Kay 2000, Walmart 2050, TJX Rewards 1200
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Closed Accounts - Charge-offs

A charge-off, per se, is an accounting procedure that reported the debt as uncollectible to IRS, and moved the debt from an asset to a liability on their accounting ledger.

They are not apt to go back to IRS and file an amended return to remove the tax benefit of the charge-off.

The repoting of a charge-off to the CRAs is a separte issue.  The OC can do an accounting charge-off without even reporting it to  CRA.  The reporting of a CO to a CRA is not the CO itself.

A creditor could choose to delete the reporting of a CO to the CRA, even though the CO itself remains.  It is totally up to them. 

Unless deletion of the reporting is coupled with an incenive for them to delete, such as part of a PFD negotiation, I dont see much reason for them to delete reporting of debt that they have already told the IRS is bad debt that is considered uncollectible.  Hardly a strong position for asking GW deletion.

Message 2 of 6
randaljon
Regular Contributor

Thanks, so I could try to offer a debt settlement in return of deletion of the CRA reporting? Could this hurt me in anyway if they decline? Like affecting the 7 year drop off?

Wallet: Grow Visa 500, Capital One MC 2000, Capital One MC 1250, Paypal MC 3000, Jared 10500, Kay 2000, Walmart 2050, TJX Rewards 1200
Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

No,it could not hurt you.

The CR drop off date for a charge-of is cast in stone under FCRA 605(c).  it is a date-certain of 7 years and 180-days from the date of first default (DOFD) in the OC account. No later activities can reset this date-certain.

Message 4 of 6
randaljon
Regular Contributor

Is it wise to send a validation letter to a past creditor who has a charge-off against you? Or should I just send a debt settlement offer? I am not talking about a CA here, just a past creditor...

Thanks to anyone who answers. I appreciate the advice...

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

DV letters pertain only to debt collection practices by a debt collector.  You cannot DV an OC.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.