Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed Charged Off Account Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed Charged Off Account Advice

I am not sure what I should do.  I have a closed loan on my report that reports as charged off each month. Last payment December 2018.  I am in a position where I can pay it off in 4 months but they offered me a 30% settlement if I pay now which I can do.  Since this is ready showing closed with a balance, would a settlement hurt anymore than what has already been reporting for 14 months? I have moved my score from 530 to 635 in 4 months and I don't want to do anything to hurt it.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Closed Charged Off Account Advice

PIF or settled will stop the negative monthly updating of being owed. Then it can age and fall off your reports as paid.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

So would the score drop then in this case if they update it from reporting as closed - charged off to settled? If so I don't want to settle the debt.

Message 3 of 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Finance over FICO as we say here. It will ding only due to the update. But to future creditors you paid your debts. No brainer really. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

It is good you got a settlement offer and you can pay it off. It will show a $0 balance which is good. If possible, you can also ask them if they can remove it from the report.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.