Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed No Balance Timeshare still Reporting as Failure To Pay

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed No Balance Timeshare still Reporting as Failure To Pay

So I made the mistake of buying into a timeshare in 2015. I did end up defalting on it, and they "repossesed" and sold the property and there is no balance on it anymore. But they continue to report every month to Experian as FP. Since there isn't a balance, there is nothing to pay, so can they keep reporting a negative every month? They have been reporting Failure to Pay almost every month since September 2017.

I've been pre-approved for a mortgage so I'm trying to not poke any bears and ruin my pre-approval. My mortgage broker is aware of this account and as long as it's currently reporting no balance and closed, they're ignoring it. So I don't want to call and accidently trigger something and have them start reporting a balance (even though to my knowledge there truly is no balance due). 

So I'm planning on being more proactive about this account AFTER I've completed buying my house in a couple months. 

But I would love some advice on what to do with this? If there is no balance, can they keep reporting FP? Should I just hand the matter over to an attorney to deal with? I've heard that this company in particular is very nasty to deal with and they actively try to hurt peoples credit who try to work with them so right now I'm feeling like it's not worth trying to deal with on my own, and it might be worth the cost of getting a lawyer involved to send whatever legal letters need sending. Would this be something that would be good for Lexington Law or the other company to handle? 

I did file a dispute on it and somehow it came back verified. I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm just not sure how they can keep reporting failure to pay on an account with a $0 balance that is closed, and what do I do about it?

Here are the details as it appears on my Experian Report:

ORANGE LAKE/WILSON RES

Details  

Account #

xxxxxxX

Original Creditor

-

Company Sold

-

Account Type

INSTALLMENT

Date Opened

Dec 2015

Account Status

Closed

Payment Status

Charge-off

Status Updated

Sep 2017

Usage

-

Balance

-

Balance Updated

Mar 1, 2019

Original Balance

$10,313

Monthly Payment

-

Past Due Amount

-

Highest Balance

-

Terms

Unknown

Responsibility

Individual

Your Statement

-

Comments

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Closed No Balance Timeshare still Reporting as Failure To Pay

If it went to CO a FP is not improper and I see the status date is still 2017. Here is a thread that may shed some light on this

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Debt-Ownership/m-p/5562965#M585310

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.