Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Credit Cards

tag
cdub69
Regular Contributor

Closing Credit Cards

I currently have a score of 620.I  have four credit cards with small limits all of which were opened in  2009.I would like to close the Credit One card it's fees are ridiculous.My question is since I still owe a balance on the card will this drop my score if I close it with a balance.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Closing Credit Cards

It would depend if the balance and the CL are both reported.  If both are reported, yes it will impact your utilization until paid.

Message 2 of 6
cdub69
Regular Contributor

Yes they both are reported.I plan to keep paying on the account until balance is zero.

Message 3 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Read this about closing credit cards then make up your mind.  If the fees are a killer, I would.  I just want you to know the impact that is possible.

Closing Credit Cards

Message 4 of 6
sunshine24
New Contributor

I recently closed my stupid 2-year old Orchard Bank card to avoid the ridiculous annual fee. I only had one (much) older card and a few more 2 year & newer cards. My score did nothing when it reported closed, but then it was a low limit and I've had it at a zero balance for like a year, so I don't know if that made a difference.

Starting Score: 608 EQ (FICO) 8/11/11
Current Score: 713 EQ (FICO) 2/14/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@sunshine24 wrote:

I recently closed my stupid 2-year old Orchard Bank card to avoid the ridiculous annual fee. I only had one (much) older card and a few more 2 year & newer cards. My score did nothing when it reported closed, but then it was a low limit and I've had it at a zero balance for like a year, so I don't know if that made a difference.

It wouldn't if you had a 0 balance when closed and older cards for AAoA.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.