Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing an account.

tag
SLR72689
Frequent Contributor

Closing an account.

Considering closing my lowest limit card, Capital One (fomerly Orchard Bank) account. 

$300 limit. $39 annual fee. I've tried to get an increase and get rid of the annual fee but have not had success with either. My other Capital One card I've gotten from $500 to $2500 (one increase from Excecutive Office and the other was automatic) and that has no annual fee. 

Thoughts? Smiley Happy I guess I could keep it open but I don't want to pay $39 when the card has no rewards or benefits. Opened the card in 2009. Only have credit history from 2007.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SLR72689
Frequent Contributor

Re: Closing an account.

I have decided to e-mail Capital One's executive office to attempt to get an increase and or the annual fee waived. Wish me luck. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@SLR72689 wrote:

I have decided to e-mail Capital One's executive office to attempt to get an increase and or the annual fee waived. Wish me luck. Smiley Happy

Good luck.  If it's a No Go, then I'd ditch it.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 6
kjel
Established Contributor

@SLR72689 wrote:

Considering closing my lowest limit card, Capital One (fomerly Orchard Bank) account. 

$300 limit. $39 annual fee. I've tried to get an increase and get rid of the annual fee but have not had success with either. My other Capital One card I've gotten from $500 to $2500 (one increase from Excecutive Office and the other was automatic) and that has no annual fee. 

Thoughts? Smiley Happy I guess I could keep it open but I don't want to pay $39 when the card has no rewards or benefits. Opened the card in 2009. Only have credit history from 2007.

I have two of these plus a CapOne issued card. The formerly Orchard Bank cards I just have not been able to get an increase on. The CapOne issued card started at $250, went to $500, $750 and a $1000 after an EO request. I've had the OB issued cards for 7 and 8 years with a perfect payment history.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 4 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck, I would also try a PC to the Quicksilver card with rewards.

Message 5 of 6
SLR72689
Frequent Contributor

Well, called Executive Office.

Can't waive my annual fee yearly, but they did credit me back $39 as a "one time courtesy". I'll take it... for now. 

My limit only raised $200 to $500 Smiley Indifferent BUT that happened with my other Cap One card, the limit was raised $200 then a few months later I got an auto increase of $1500. So I'm gonna wait it out and see what happens... and if it's stuck at $500 the next time my annual fee comes, I will cancel it

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.