cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing/canceling credit card after applying?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing/canceling credit card after applying?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering what happens if I immediately cancel a credit card I just applied for.  I just received the card last week and it is now reported as a new account on my reports..  I applied for a capital one buypower card thinking I was going to purchase a new car but found a good deal on a slightly used one.  I did not activate the card so no balance is on it at the moment.  Now, I know the hard inquiry is there for good but is it possible to have the account removed from my reports or will closing it affect my score/aaoa?  Anyone with experience with this?  Thank you in advance!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Closing/canceling credit card after applying?

The consumer cannot unilaterally cancel an open account or compel its deletion or block its reporting.

You can contact the creditor and close the account.

You can request they either not report, or delete if they have reported.

It is at their discretion to grant.  Give them a call.

Message 2 of 3
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Closing/canceling credit card after applying?

Right, all you should have to do is call Cap1 to close it out.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.