cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colections paid , what is the next step?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Colections paid , what is the next step?

Hi everyone,

Since my last posts I have been working on my credit score and my husband's.

My husband had 3 collections on his report that we recently paid.They were settled for less, but we have confirmation from agencies that will report as paid in full, now we will just have to wait and see if that's really the case.

One of the collection was with Sprint,so I paid Sprint directly and said they will remove collection activity.

I am confused about what should I do next, is there a way to remove them completly from his report?

Please advice.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
collics
Established Contributor

Re: Colections paid , what is the next step?

Who were the collection agencies?

I think you would have needed to get them to agree to pay for delete. 

Not sure how it works for collections already paid. 

BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in a similar boat as you. I am ready to PIF and and the billing agent gave me conflicting info. They said they would recall it but then in further discussion they said they would update with NCB as "paid in full" and stay on my credit for 7 years and finally followed up by they would "recall immediately upon payment". I ended up not paying right then because it can't be both. Curious to see how it goes for you!

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone,

My husband had 3 collections on his report that we recently paid.They were settled for less, but we have confirmation from agencies that will report as paid in full, now we will just have to wait and see if that's really the case.

One of the collection was with Sprint,so I paid Sprint directly and said they will remove collection activity.

I am confused about what should I do next, is there a way to remove them completly from his report?

Please advice.

Thank you!

Congratulations on paying those collections.  In a "perfect world" as someone here pointed out, getting a "pay for delete" would be ideal.  I see no harm in going back to request the deletion; maybe ask for a manager at the beginning of the call.  Long shot?  I don't know.  I would try it, tho'.

If the one CA said they would "remove collection activity", as you noted, I am not sure what they mean; do they mean they will stop any calls or correspondence regarding the debt?  I would imagine so, if there was a settlement agreeement.  Seeing or hearing something like, "we will remove it from your credit file/s" would be more encouraging.

Without knowing all of your details, here is one potential strategy:

1. go back to CA and politely request deletion; suggestion - emphasis here - you were under the impression of PFD unless they sent you something to the contrary.  Ask for manager; thank them for coming off the floor to take the call; compliment the service and immediately make your request.

2. Dispute; this could be tricky. I would not want to dispute only to have the full amount re-appear on my file. Check other boards. There are more people qualified than me that might give better guidance here.

3. Write the CA and use certified mail return receipt requesting the deletion.

In the future, as a matter of policy, always ask for PFD.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

... My husband had 3 collections on his report that we recently paid ... is there a way to remove them completly from his report?

Now it's time for a Goodwill campaign. There is much information in this forum about GW letters & such. Search is your friend.

Use the Saturation Technique if you want to wipe that report clean. 

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who were the collection agency

Message 6 of 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone,

Please advice.

Thank you!

If this occured recently. It can take 30-45 days to go poof. Many success stories on paying Sprint and the CA is deleted. Give it some more time.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for responding.

The collections are:

Sprint-Enhanced recovery

Medical bills-Americollect

Verizon -Eos 

Everything was paid not more than a week ago ,so now I am just waiting for an update on reports.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to verify, you are saying (also from what I read, but a little overwhelmed) is go ahead and pay the owed monies through Sprint and just be patient to see if they clear off my reports? I don't need a written/verbal "we will recall the CA from the collector and ask that they remove the account from the CRAs"? If that is the jist of it, I will move ahead. I just wasn't sure that unless it was clearly written out that I should halt until I found the right person to say the magic phrase. Of course, I dont expect a guarantee, just a direction. Thanks!

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,when I called sprint to make the payment I was told ,that since the account is now paid in full they will "remove collection activity " and that I won't have to contact the collection agency. I was told once  the account Is paid ,they have nothing to report to the CA.Before I called sprint, I read on this forum that other people were successful doing this.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.