Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Account But Paid Original Creditor

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Account But Paid Original Creditor

I just had a collection account appear on all 3 of my credit reports. So, I decided to call the original creditor and asked if I can still pay them or do I have to go through the collection agency. They told me that I can pay them directly...so I did. As soon as I hung up with the original creditor, I called the collection agency and told them that the debt was paid to the original creditor. Lady told me that they get updates twice a month and will send me receipt once they do.

My question is... what is the best and fastest way to have this collection account removed? Dispute wthe CRAs? Keep pressuring the collection agaency to remove it?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Collection Account But Paid Original Creditor

Since the collection authority wasn't recalled before you paid it all you can do is GW letters. All the VA is required to do now is update the account to paid.
Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Once a creditor hires a debt collector, their collection efforts becomes a reportable fact, which is not negated if/when the debt it paid.

It is still part of the prior history.

CRA policy instructs debt collectors not to delete their reported collection based on payment of the debt, regardless of how/who the debt is paid to.

Thus, there is no basis for a dispute of accuracy of the reported collection, or any basis for seeking CRA assistance in its removal.

As stated in the prior response, the exception is if the CO terminates the assigned collection authority before accepting payment of the debt.

In such cases, the OC could either assign another debt collector or sell the debt, thus permitting a new debt collector to report their collection efforts.

That would, if the prior collection remained, result in the simultaneous reporting of two collections on the same debt, which is not permitted by the CRAs.

Thus, CRA policy of deletion of a collection extends only to collections in which the collection authority has been terminated prior to payment of the debt.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I decided to put submit an online dispute with Experian today and withinh 2 hours i get a notification from them saying my results are ready. I was shocked and when I looked at the results it said the item was deleted. Wow that was fast! 

Do you guys know if the Collection Agency told Experian to delete it, since it was only a couple hours after I submitted the dispute?

Message 4 of 6
cuthatcard
Frequent Contributor

• I have,  somewhat,  of a similar issue.

I have a medical collection that appeared 2 months after paying the OC. 

The OC said, in the beginning,  that if it was pd to them, they would recall it but it did appear ! TU deleted it, can't dispute it on EQ and EX due to having to send in proof of who I am. In the meantime,  I have went back to the OC, twice, who now says it was pd by my insurance .

Now, I'm stuck, until they recall, for good ! 

Maybe,  get my money back, but, getting the CA to delete has been a chore !

FICO :November 2016
TU-761 EQ 756. EX - 749
No Baddies
QS1 -$2,000. Care Credit $9,600.00 CHASE Freedom $3,000.00 Discover IT $1,000.00
Inq TU 4 EQ 3 EX 2
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It is quite possible that the debt collector, upon receiving a copy of the dispute, decided to simply delete.

That is not a finding by the CRA that the reporting was inaccurate.  It results in dismissal of the dispute based on the voluntary deletion by the furnisher.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.