Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Account Issues

tag
CivalV
Established Contributor

Collection Account Issues

I have a collection account with Sprint from 2014 of $400. Summer 17’ I tried to reopen a Sprint account & was told I needed to pay a balance of $150 to reopen my account even though it was sent to collections. They tried to reopen the account but I was denied. Fast forward to last week. I gave the collection agency a call and asked how much the collection account balance was. I was told they have not received any payments and the full $400 is due. I explained to them my situation with Sprint. They stated I need to go back to the store where I tried to reopen the account and get it sorted with them.

I have been able to remove 2 very stubborn collections from all 3 CRS. This one collection from Sprint is only reporting on Experian, hence my Experian report not rising to its true potential.

For starters I pulled my bank statement from Aug 17’ and it shows I paid Sprint $150. It also shows the day prior to making that payment that I also paid $112 for my bill at the time.

My question is how do I go about this? My whole idea is to get my money from Sprint back because I was obviously stiffed by them. After this “hopefully” happens, I would like to request a pay for a delete with the credit agency.

What are your thoughts? Any advice? Has anyone ever dealt with something like this before?
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Account Issues

Similar situation with Verizon. I upgraded my phone and was supposed to get a $100 rebate. They never applied it and kept applying late fees but assured me it would be taken cre of retroactively. Never happened and I kept getting the run around. Closed account. Switched carriers.
Now, they won't budge.

Hired an attorney on contingency. He won't cost me a thing. At this point, I have no other options because I won't pay them for nothing.
Message 2 of 6
CivalV
Established Contributor

It’s so annoying! I wish I wouldn’t have paid the $$. I just don’t want to be out of $150 & then on top of that pay the collection of $400. It just doesn’t make sense. Scammer companies make me sick. 

Message 3 of 6
sjt
Senior Contributor

@CivalV wrote:

It’s so annoying! I wish I wouldn’t have paid the $$. I just don’t want to be out of $150 & then on top of that pay the collection of $400. It just doesn’t make sense. Scammer companies make me sick. 

Did you ask sprint for a copy of your records that indicate payments made. Also, are you sure the $400 collection is related to the bills you paid?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 4 of 6
CivalV
Established Contributor

Now or when I originally made the $150 payment? In regards to what the $150 was for. The Sprint CR stated the $150 was towards the collections owed on my previous account. He stated I had to pay that minimum amount towards the $400 collection balance in order to open an account with Sprint. He stated the $150 should show as a payment on the collection account within a couple of weeks but that was not the case.
Message 5 of 6
sjt
Senior Contributor

Do you have the receipt. Have you contacted Sprint regarding the payment and how it was applied?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.