Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Account

Can someone please tell me if the creditors can sell your balance to another collection company and have your seven years start over with the negative reports

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Account

They can sell it at any time but does not restart the seven year clock. That is determined by the date of first delinquency which doesn't change.

Message 2 of 5
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Can someone please tell me if the creditors can sell your balance to another collection company and have your seven years start over with the negative reports

Like @Anonymous said, selling doesn't change the DOFD.

The only time the clock resets (starts over) is if you made a payment of any amt. to any CA or the original creditor after the DOFD and then that would be the date that sticks for the next 7 yrs.

What are you seeing on your credit report(s)?  Take screenshots of past reports up to present just in case the CA reports incorrectly.  Then you have something to work with.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 3 of 5
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Like @Anonymous said, selling doesn't change the DOFD.

The only time the clock resets (starts over) is if you made a payment of any amt. to any CA or the original creditor after the DOFD and then that would be the date that sticks for the next 7 yrs.

What are you seeing on your credit report(s)?  Take screenshots of past reports up to present just in case the CA reports incorrectly.  Then you have something to work with.

No. The reporting clock never restarts, payment or not.

You're confusing it with SOL that can be restarted if a payment is made (or by entering into payment agreement/making a promise to pay)

Removal of negatives at no longer than 7.5 years is legally mandated, and cannot be changed. 

Exceptions to 7.5 years reporting are federal SL negatives are treated differently in terms of removal, chapter 7 BK has reporting period of 10 years. 

Message 4 of 5
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

No. The reporting clock never restarts, payment or not.

You're confusing it with SOL

@Remedios  yep, I sure am. Thank you!

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.