Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Accounts NOT yet reported to CRA's

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Accounts NOT yet reported to CRA's

Hey guys, this is one of my first posts. I wanted to share my situation. Long story short, I have 2 medical bills in collections. I also have 2 other accounts in collections. The medical collections were from an ER visit in July of 2017. I did not have insurance coverage. All 4 of these accounts are currently with CA's however they have not yet been reported to the Credit Reporting Agencies (yet). I am already past the 30 day window to send a DV letter for all of them.. I contacted the Hospital (OC) to see if they could pull back and I could work out a payment plan w/ them directly and they said "No.. It's already been handed off, there's nothing I can do".. Which is a load of crap in my opinion. So my question is, where do I go from here? I contacted one of the medical collections over the phone (post 30 days) and asked them what this was regarding, and they said it was an attempt to collect a debt. I informed them I needed verification before acknowledging anything (over the phone) and they never sent me anything Since that phone call in October, I have not been harassed or contacted. The other medical collection is small so I am paying that off tomorrow. I have two other collections, one of which I am sending a PIF letter regarding a settlement. That is small so that will be taken care of. The other is around $480 and when I asked for a DV (post 30 days), all they sent me was an amount owed, the last creditor it was with and that's it. PLUS they are charging interest on it.. When they have failed to provide me with any proof that this is my account. Do I send out a DV notice to the two I am disputing? Even after the 30 days? Do I attempt to work out a payment plan before they report to the CRA's? If so, what templates or letters should I be using? I have read the HIPPA method and i'm fairly sure in this current medical debt situation it does not apply to me (pre-CRA reporting). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collection Accounts NOT yet reported to CRA's

Medicals are some of the easiest to deal with. On the one that is not yet reporting make a deal to pay in exchange for it not being reported. Here is the normal order for medicals

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

As far as DV on medicals I dont advise it (if you know its yours), it could get them into a combative stance and them reporting it for the full 7 year period thats allowed from the DoFD. With a DV the law says you can request within the first 30 days of a CA receiving a collection but there is no law that says they have to do so but with the timely DV it stops them from collection actions until such time that they do validate. Outside the 30 day window the DV legally has no effect.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Accounts NOT yet reported to CRA's

Google the HIPPA process and follow it.

I got every single medical collection removed from my husbands credit doing this.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.