cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Agency Question....PLEASE HELP!

tag
creditgirl
Regular Contributor

Collection Agency Question....PLEASE HELP!

I have an old account for a cell phone that was turned over to Midland. The DOLA is Sept 2003, however on my EX credit report, the account is not listed with Collection accounts. Also, Midland has been updating this thing as 90+ days late since 2006 which is a total of 18 90+ days late. I thought once it went to collection agency, they couldn't do the 30, 90, 120 day late thing. Am I wrong?  Please advise me of what to do. This is likely a big part of what has been killing my score.

They have been sending me settlement letters monthly for the past couple of months. I am wondering if I should try to get the record straightened on my reports first, or offer to PFD. I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!
creditgirl
FICO 9/1/07 FICO 9/26/07
TU--534 TU--538
EX---552 EX---562
EQ---454 EQ---454
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Agency Question....PLEASE HELP!

FICO reads collection and the REPORT date.  This is for your scores.

Federal SOL for cell phones is 2 years!!!!

Send the CA a DV  CMRRR    and the past SOL letter
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the account show a DOFD or estimated date of removal?

If it is a collection account, the lates aren't being factored into your score. Only the worse condition is factored in for each account.

I would DV them and include the past SOL letter.

They never respond to a DV letter because they take the last statement about "please communicate only by mail" as a cease and desist.

You can offer PFD. From what I hear, offering a PFD is a waste of time with them.

Once they don't validate, file a complaint with the BBB over incorrect reporting and failing to respond to DV and continuing to report. Ask for the account to be removed.

Check to see if your state requires them to be licensed and/or bonded and if they are.

Message 3 of 5
creditgirl
Regular Contributor

HappyDays wrote:
FICO reads collection and the REPORT date.  This is for your scores.

Federal SOL for cell phones is 2 years!!!!

Send the CA a DV  CMRRR    and the past SOL letter

It just seems wrong to me for them to have this account listed as an installment account and have it in the area of my CR for "Accounts" instead of in the area for "Collections". For "Loan Type" it lists "Unknown- Credit Review or Extension" with a Term of 1 month. All of this information is totally wrong and it's only listed this way on Experian.

Also, my reports on myFICO state that I have one account past due the amount is $264 which is the exact amount of the Midland account. I don't have anything else past due and haven't for well over a year.  This is making me REALLY upset!!  I can't believe I'm just noticing this!! It seems that them reporting 90 days late in this area affects my scores. I know the amount owed is factored into my utility (and it shouldn't be).  I don't know the date of first delinquency, but I do have the date of last activity as 2003. However, Midland didn't start reporting this until 2006 and they've been reporting 90 days ever since.  Maybe this is not hurting me any more than if it were a collection, but it is, in fact, factored into my utility

I just don't know how to go about finding out if this is in fact an issue.

Scores 8/13/08-- TU 617, EQ565, EX 568

Message Edited by creditgirl on 08-16-2008 05:03 PM
FICO 9/1/07 FICO 9/26/07
TU--534 TU--538
EX---552 EX---562
EQ---454 EQ---454
Message 4 of 5
creditgirl
Regular Contributor

Bump...

Thanks!
FICO 9/1/07 FICO 9/26/07
TU--534 TU--538
EX---552 EX---562
EQ---454 EQ---454
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.