cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection - Date Opened showing AFTER Reported Since date?

tag
spicypeppermints

Collection - Date Opened showing AFTER Reported Since date?

I'm a newbie and have found a wealth of information regarding these forums!

My background is that I came from a score of 626 to a 764 within one year due to rigorous saving to pay off my credit card bills. Mind you this is only for EQ. My TU and EX are in the low 600's. As I know AMEX pulls EX? I'm AMAZED that I was approved for their BCE and True Earnings cards ($5k limit each) last month when my EX score was around 645. In any case, I'm happy to finally have an AMEX and have no complaints other than what I discovered is bringing down my TU & EX score.

I have a medical Collection from 2009 for $1,625. My question (pardon my ignorance) is how can the Date Opened (12/11) show a date AFTER Reported Since (4/09) and Date of Status? Has anyone else run across this as I'm not sure what it means and if it is something I can dispute. Or does the Date Opened date mean when the account was open with the collection agency?

It reads:

Date Opened: 2/2011

Reported Since: 4/2009

Date of Status: 4/2009

Last Reported: 2/2012

$1625 past due as of 2/2012

Collection as of Feb 2012, Apr 2009 (I only received services in 2009 so I'm not sure where the 2012 is coming from)

If for any reason, I think I have a right to dispute the recent balance date as of 2/2012, but I'm also curious how the account opened date is after the reported since date.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice anyone could give me would be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Collection - Date Opened showing AFTER Reported Since date?

The date opened is the date this particular CA acquired the debt.

Reported since 4/2009 is when it was originally reported to the CRAs.

Date of status is the last time anything was done

Last reported is the last time anyone reported it to the CRA.

It is all correct.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collection - Date Opened showing AFTER Reported Since date?

+1

Additionally, assuming that there was an inaccuracy, the debt collector could simply correct so as to overcome the inaccuracy.

Inaccurte reporting alone is not basis for deletion of the collection. 

A date opened is of little significance, and disputing its accuracy would most likely not be worth the effort.

Particularly if you are planning to pursue a GW request via a later PFD.  Your prior dispute could influence their future GW.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.