Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Items – Who to contact?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Items – Who to contact?

Hello,

I’m 31 years old and finally checked my credit report for the first time. I unfortunately found 3 “Collection Items” that I was completely unaware of. I’ve never been contacted by a collections agency for any reason, and my addresses listed in the credit report are and have always been current.

The problem I’m having is that from the credit report I can’t find out how to contact the “Collectors” listed! There’s no contact information; all that I see is something like this:

Collector: TAC MUNI CRT PARKING-IN-STATE
Date Open: 04-2002
Balance Date: 06-2008
Balance Amount: $119

Collector: MED1 02 CALIF EMERGENCY PHYSICIANS
Date Open: 10-2006
Balance Date: 12-2006
Balance Amount: $42

Collector: BAY AREA RADIOLOGIST
Date Open: 03-2007
Balance Date: 08-2007

I’m guessing the first one was from a parking ticket from when I used to live in Tacoma, WA, before I moved to CA 6 years ago. The second probably has something to do with when I broke my ankle a little before the “Balance Date”; however, I paid off the full $1,000 or so cost to the hospital. As for the third item, I’m guessing it’s somehow related to the second as it’s the same “Balance Amount” and my broken ankle was probably seen by a radiologist.

So…is there any way I can contact these CAs? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do that with such limited info in my credit report? And once I do, from what I understand by reading the forums, should I send a DV then follow up with a PFD?

Any help would really REALLY be appreciated!

Thanks!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Items – Who to contact?

I think you're right: the first one IS a parking ticket. Hubby got one of those and never knew it either. That one, I think you can just pay the city. That's what DH did a few years back.

As for the others, do NOY contact the CA!!! These are medical bills and are handled differently. Your best, best, best bet is to use the HIPPA process. If you contact the CA you lose ALL medical privacy rights under HIPPA. And you will more than likely NEVER get these off your reports.

What I have done, which is a bit different than the HIPPA process in the link below, is to pay the original creditor (in your case, the Physicians and Radiology). Then wait until AFTER the check has cleared and send them the HIPPA letter (insert "b" ).

If you don't HAVE to, do NOY call the OC either. If you ask them if they will accept payment, they'll more than likely say "No, speak to the CA." If you send them a check, they're more motivated to just cash it since its in hand. Hubby calls this "asking for forgiveness rather than asking for permission" but it works!
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for the speedy response, Wonderin.

I'm curious about contacting and paying the city directly for the parking ticket... willthey be able to delete the "Collection Item" from my credit report? As I understand it from readings in this forum, simply paying off the debt does not affect your credit score...only the deletion of the item will.

Thanks!
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks so much for the speedy response, Wonderin.

I'm curious about contacting and paying the city directly for the parking ticket... willthey be able to delete the "Collection Item" from my credit report? As I understand it from readings in this forum, simply paying off the debt does not affect your credit score...only the deletion of the item will.

Thanks!

De nada! Smiley Happy

As to the parking ticket, I'm not sure, to be honest with you. The ticket hubby had was about to fall off anyway when we paid it (we were too afraid to leave it unpaid as hubby was applying for a security clearance).

Personally, if I were you, I'd pay it and not worry about it. It will fall off your CRs by early next year, if not sooner.

Conversely, you could pay the stupid thing and then DV them. If they don't validate, they're gone! Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't help with the parking tkt.......but because the CA just got it in 2002....it is should be past or very close to CRTP...................I would send them a DV   CMRRR
       Make sure that they give you all info on the tkt....name addy  license # and tag #   awhile back many of these showed up & they were all wrong.

Collector: MED1 02 CALIF EMERGENCY PHYSICIANS
Date Open: 10-2006
Balance Date: 12-2006

Collector: BAY AREA RADIOLOGIST
Date Open: 03-2007
Balance Date: 08-2007
                Medical very different then all other debt        First send this letter to all CRAs reporting for the CA        Do NOT contact the CA!!!!!!!  

Wait until the dispute is closed. If not deleted   there is a follow up letter to send to the OC

To protect your rights under HIPAA, you should not write or correspond with a Collection Agency regarding a medical collection account within SOL.
This process is not applicable if the account is valid and you are unable to pay.  The medical claim must either be paid, inaccurate, or you are prepared to remit the valid correct amount due with the HIPAA letter.
The Pre-HIPAA letter is sent to the CRA to dispute medical collection accounts on your CR that are within SOL and are:  paid, valid but unpaid, "not mine" or inaccurate.
  1. Dispute a paid medical collection directly with the CRA and they should delete.  If not deleted, but verified, send HIPAA letter (Whychat's process - insert b). 
  2. Dispute valid but unpaid medical collections because you need the CRA to verify the balance.  There may be no valid balance due and the CRA will delete.  Only after the CRA has verified and you agree that the amount is correct is the HIPAA letter sent with payment (Whychat's process - insert a).  The payment amount should be the same amount as was verified by the CRA and on your CR.
  3. If the medical collection account is "not mine" or inaccurate, you need to have disputed the medical collection listing with the CRA.  Only after the CRA verifies and does not delete an invalid or inaccurate medical collection do you send the HIPAA letter (Whychat's

send this letter CMRRR to all CRAs reporing ( not to the CAs)!

Dear CRA,

My name is xxxxx xxxxxx , my SS # is xxx xx xxxx.
I am sending this dispute certified mail # xxxx to make sure you receive it.
I have no knowledge or records of account # xxxxx reported by xxxxxxx

Please advise me as to the name and address of the medical provider, the date and type of service,and to whom the service was provided, as any account I might have had would be obsolete.

If you can obtain this information, I also would need the name of the person providing this data, and the manner in which it was provided in order that I may pursue additional legal remedies.

If you can not obtain The information from the original creditor  within the required time frame (30 days)   Please delete this account from my CR.

Please mail me an updated report when this dispute is completed.

Very truly yours,
xxxxxx
ADDY

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much, HappyDays! I'm preparing the Pre-HIPPA letter now to be sent out to the CRAs with CMRRR.

Just a quick follow up question -- is sending snail mail more effective than filling out the CRA online dispute investigation forms?

Thanks Again!

SushiK
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello again, HappyDays, and thank you for your response. I've sent out letters matching your included template to the CRAs concerning my medical collection items as you suggested.

I was hoping you could help me a little further, if you have the time, and comment a little more on your suggestions concerning my 2002 parking ticket collection item.

You mention "send them a DV CMRRR". Send the CA the DV? Is that correct? Also, do you happen to have another template letter for the DV request?

And finally, if the CA validates the debt and it looks like it's mine, do I just send a PFD and payment and go through that process?

Thanks so much!

SushiK
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.