cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Letter - Debt was Paid, How to Handle?

tag
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

Collection Letter - Debt was Paid, How to Handle?

Hi everyone, I have a question about dealing with a debt that was erroneously sent to a collection agency. I just received a letter from a collection agency for a really small debt ($20.22) from a medical provider. I looked at my files and I paid this debt in March 2020, shortly after I received the bill for it (invoice from provider dated 03/17 and I paid 03/22), so there is no reason that it should have been sent to a collection agency. Interestingly, I have a new, more recent bill from the same provider for the exact same amount, so I'm guessing that they mis-applied the March payment to the newer debt, making the old one look unpaid, but this is their mistake, not mine (you don't select a specific debt in their payment flow, it's just a simple payment amount paid to the provider). Nontheless, I want to resolve this as quickly as possible. What should be my next step?

- Call the provider directly and ask them to sort it out (but what if they drop the ball again, is there something else I should be doing to protect myself?)

- Should I also send a letter to the collection agency directly, letting them know of the error and telling them to fix it too? Should I provide proof the debt was paid in March? Any magincal language there? Also, is this a bad idea - are there any negatives to communicating directly with the collection agency, even via letter?

I've just heard horror storeis of small debt errors spiralling out of control due to irresponsible creditors and collection agencies, so I want to take whatever steps are necessary to create a paper trail and force everyone to fix this. Thanks!

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

Re: Collection Letter - Debt was Paid, How to Handle?

If you have proof that you paid the debt with the OC call them and verify. Also ask them to recall the debt from the CA. They should be able to handle it. If they can't , your other option is to file a dispute and include your proof of payment. Good luck. 

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 2 of 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Collection Letter - Debt was Paid, How to Handle?

Go to the office in person. Show them what was paid and the collections on a piad bill. Ask them to fix. They are the OC. In person will always beat out sitting on the couch making phone calls. Cant BS you in the face. Good Luck!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.