Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Removed then Re-Added

tag
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

Collection Removed then Re-Added

In 2010, I disocvered a $64 unpaid collection account from Qwest on my credit report. I still have my old credit report from when I discoverd this, and on that report it showed the "date last active" of June 1, 2008. I disputed it on my reports, which went nowhere. Contacted the collection agency directly and asked them to verify the debt. Apparently they couldn't so it was removed from all 3 reports.  

Well, fast forward to July 2012. I got a letter from one of the bureaus saying something negative was now on my report. Checked my report and sure enough, there is now a $64 unpaid collection account from Century Link (they took over Qwest recently) assigned to a collection agency (EOS). It says "date opened" of 3/2012 and "reported since 5/2012". 

I don't think I owe Qwest/Century Link $64, which is why I disptued it in the first place. That being said, I did have an account with Qwest in 2008, but have not had an account with Qwest or Century Link since. I'm pretty sure this is the same $64 collection that was removed. I disputed the Century Link collection account a few months ago with the 3 bureaus directly, which didn't help. 

I vaguely remember the first collection agency sending me a letter saying they couldn't verify it. I kept it but now can't find it Smiley Sad   

Do you think it's worth mentioning to the new collection agency that I've already disputed what I think is the same collection account and that couldn't be verified in 2010? Any general advice would be appreciated. Thank you. 

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collection Removed then Re-Added

$64?  Try a PFD, that way it will be gone and won't bounce to another CA.  It's a small amount and it's getting on up in years.  Try and get rid of it, you don't even have to offer to pay it in full, offer 50%, see what they say.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 4
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@JustMe77 wrote:

In 2010, I disocvered a $64 unpaid collection account from Qwest on my credit report. I still have my old credit report from when I discoverd this, and on that report it showed the "date last active" of June 1, 2008. I disputed it on my reports, which went nowhere. Contacted the collection agency directly and asked them to verify the debt. Apparently they couldn't so it was removed from all 3 reports.  

Well, fast forward to July 2012. I got a letter from one of the bureaus saying something negative was now on my report. Checked my report and sure enough, there is now a $64 unpaid collection account from Century Link (they took over Qwest recently) assigned to a collection agency (EOS). It says "date opened" of 3/2012 and "reported since 5/2012". 

I don't think I owe Qwest/Century Link $64, which is why I disptued it in the first place. That being said, I did have an account with Qwest in 2008, but have not had an account with Qwest or Century Link since. I'm pretty sure this is the same $64 collection that was removed. I disputed the Century Link collection account a few months ago with the 3 bureaus directly, which didn't help. 

I vaguely remember the first collection agency sending me a letter saying they couldn't verify it. I kept it but now can't find it Smiley Sad   

Do you think it's worth mentioning to the new collection agency that I've already disputed what I think is the same collection account and that couldn't be verified in 2010? Any general advice would be appreciated. Thank you. 

I have PMed you contcts to EOS-CCA; they are pretty easy to work with via these contacts

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 3 of 4
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

$64?  Try a PFD, that way it will be gone and won't bounce to another CA.  It's a small amount and it's getting on up in years.  Try and get rid of it, you don't even have to offer to pay it in full, offer 50%, see what they say.  

I know, ridiculous right? I tried a PFD with the first CA but didn't get anywhere. 

Scott - thank you for the PM.

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.