Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection accounts still updating monthly

tag
its_mona
New Contributor

Collection accounts still updating monthly

Let me first apologize if this has already been addressed however I can't find this specific question anywhere.  I have two unpaid collections CBE group for Direct TV and Credit Ctrl Corporation for Suddenlink.  The seem to keep updating every single month even though there has been no change.  I am considering paying them off but other than that are they allowed to keep updating and ruining what I am trying to build!  UGH...this is so frustrating.  Please help!

scores as of 9/5/16| EX 676| EQ 622| TU 649

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection accounts still updating monthly

Yes, they can update every month as long as the account is still delinquent.  Paying them (even if they won't do a PFD) will stop them from updating monthly 

Message 2 of 17
its_mona
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply, the two together total about $1300 and I kind of asked a question anonymously about who to pay.  Apparently both the original creditors say the collectio company is authorized to collect but I am still able to pay the original.  So my thought process is that eventhough they both say they will remove the collection, if they don't I am assuming I will be able to dispute them both as I will have paid the original debt.  Am I thinking about this correctly?

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying it isn't grounds for deletion but one option is to see if the original creditor will rescind collection authority and pay the OC after that happens. If you pay the OC first the CA doesn't have to delete , just update to 0.
Message 4 of 17
its_mona
New Contributor

Which is the exact question I asked them.  Suddenlink said they would remove it from my report since the CA simply works for them and are only authorized to collect but I i would have to pay the full amount to have them remove it.  I figured I would go in personally since they are local, Direct TV claimed the same but I didnt actually talk to anyone in collections because I wanted to wait until I had money in hand.  Other than these 2, I just mailed a cashiers check for an old bank account from last year and a few medical bills which I am told don't carry much weight so I decided I will pay them last.  I have since gotten a few cards (4 store) 3 secured and furniture account since I recently moved, hoping these will help me out while trying to build.  Oh yea I also got a car with a crappy rate hoping to trade it after the first yea since not having financed a car is a bad idea...smh. 

Message 5 of 17
RonM21
Valued Contributor

If you go in, it might be a good idea to get something in writing to cover yourself just in case they don't hold up their end.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 17
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A creditor can certainly exercise their influence over their debt collector, but they cannot require them to delete should they not wish to do so.

Debt collectors also have obligations under their credit reporting agreements with the CRAs, which clearly instruct them NOT to delete based on payment of the debt.

Message 7 of 17
dave36021
Regular Contributor

I had CBE group on my reports for DirecTV also. They were there for a few months then they were gone. Once they were gone I paid DTV directly. Directv pulled it from CBE and was going to send it to another collection company but I was able to pay DTV befoe they sent it so it never came back on my reports. You could ask DTV to pull it back from CBE or wait and see if they do it on their own at some point. I think they were on my report for 4 months or so

Back In the Garden since 6/5/2016

My Fico Scores: EQ:639 EX:665 TU:651

AU: Comenity/Bealls FL 930; Capital One 300 ;
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@its_mona wrote:

Thanks for your reply, the two together total about $1300 and I kind of asked a question anonymously about who to pay.  Apparently both the original creditors say the collectio company is authorized to collect but I am still able to pay the original.  So my thought process is that eventhough they both say they will remove the collection, if they don't I am assuming I will be able to dispute them both as I will have paid the original debt.  Am I thinking about this correctly?

No, that is an incorrect assumption.

HOWEVER - I can tell you that with DirecTV, they will move it to another collector every six months or so, if the collector makes no progress on the account. When that occurs, the prior collector must delete their reporting, and the new collector will give you a grace period of 30 days to pay the account before they will report it. How old is the DirecTV account?

Message 9 of 17
its_mona
New Contributor

CBE/Direct TV went on 1/2015 and hasn't been reported since 3/2015. Direct isnt listed only CBE, same with suddenlink only Credit Ctrl is listed went on 8/2011 and hasnt been updated since 10/2011...should I wait them out and see if it comes off and pay them directly??

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.