cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection agencies can do a HP w/o permission?

tag
jens2angels
Established Member

Collection agencies can do a HP w/o permission?

I called experian last night because I have a hard pull from a robert Warner and associates from last year. I have never spoke to them, nor did I give them permission to pull a credit report. 

It wouldn't let me dispute it online, so I called experian. A rather rude lady told me that it was legit and that a collection company can pull a credit report any time they want, as a hard pull, if I owe them money and they do not need my permission. She told me I needed to call the company and have them remove it.

that just doesn't seem right to me. Anyone else have that problem? I don't even have a collection on my report from that company, or on any of my other reports. 

Also, I had a 30 dollar collection removed from Equifax, but yet when i disputed it with experian, it's somehow verified and I can't dispute it again. Are they always pains in the rear ends?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

Re: Collection agencies can do a HP w/o permission?

@jens2angels wrote:

I called experian last night because I have a hard pull from a robert Warner and associates from last year. I have never spoke to them, nor did I give them permission to pull a credit report. 

It wouldn't let me dispute it online, so I called experian. A rather rude lady told me that it was legit and that a collection company can pull a credit report any time they want, as a hard pull, if I owe them money and they do not need my permission. She told me I needed to call the company and have them remove it.

that just doesn't seem right to me. Anyone else have that problem? I don't even have a collection on my report from that company, or on any of my other reports. 

Also, I had a 30 dollar collection removed from Equifax, but yet when i disputed it with experian, it's somehow verified and I can't dispute it again. Are they always pains in the rear ends?

Unfortunately, it's legal.  Is the money owed still within the statute of limitations?

Message 2 of 5
XxRaVeNxX
Regular Contributor

Yep, I've even heard horror stories of collection agencies repeatedly pulling people's report, upping their inquires and thereby lowering their score in a scare tactic to get them to pay..

Chase Southwest $5000 - November 2012 Wal Mart $1000 - November 2012 NFCU Visa $5,000 - Sept 2012 NFCU NavCheck $3,000 - October 2012 Amazon $900 - Aug 2012 Kay's Jewlery $2700 - Aug 2012 Buckle $250 (Shopping cart trick) - October 2012 Roaman's $250 (Shopping cart trick) - October 2012 Capital One Secured $225 - April 2012 Capital One Platinum $2500 - July 2012
Message 3 of 5
jens2angels
Established Member

I called the collections agency today and the girl originally couldn't even find me and when she did, she said the account was closed in march 2010 and was including in my bankruptcy. The inquiry is from march 2011, so they would have had no reason to pull my credit at all.

I called experian back and the guy told me that I need to get a letter from them saying to remove it. Seems odd to me. I don't know he they would do a pull when I no longer have business with them.
Message 4 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

While it is legal for a CA to do a HP, I do think your situation is different.  If the account was IIB, then they would have no legit reason to pull.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.