Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection agency ERC

tag
egghead88
Regular Contributor

Collection agency ERC

Hello all... I recently had a ERC collection acct appear on my CR. The collection account was from a forgotten comcast cable bill that I had. I contacted Comcast and submitted the payment and they accepted it. This morning I get an alert from transunion that I have a paid collection account on my CR. Since I paid the OC and not the CA, should the CA trade line be deleted?? Help

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Collection agency ERC

Unfortunately, no. They were collection on behalf Comcast, and ate showing 0 due. Even though you paid OC, they will still pay part of the proceeds to ERC for their efforts.

Paying OC when CA is involved usually starts by asking them to recall account from collections in exchange for payment. 

If they agree, and CA reporting is removed, you pay them directly. 

If OC wont remove, pay CA to avoid delays in updated reporting. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, Remedios is correct above. However, I can offer you some personal advice with ERC.

I had a collection with them a couple years back, which I paid off directly with them before knowing about PFD offers and other such techniques. As required, they updated the account to show zero balance and left it at that. I went on their website several months later and filled out an online form asking if they'd delete the reporting out of goodwill, told them what happened, etc. (truthfully I may have done this a couple of times - I honestly don't recall at this point). I got no response from them, but a couple months later I was looking at my TU report and it dawned on me that ERC was no longer there (there were at least two years remaining on the reporting period). I checked EQ and EX as well and they were nowhere to be seen - apparently by filling out that form I was able to get a goodwill deletion. I would suggest trying this monthly and see if it happens for you. It definitely worked for me.

Message 3 of 7
egghead88
Regular Contributor

I'll give that a try. The collection really tanked my score. 

thanks to all!!

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

This collection agency is a pain in my ass! I have an account with sprint that's from 2016 they reaged the debt I request validation, they never responded, I complained to bbb and they sent a letter indicating they had previously replied to me and they didn't buy the debt and was reaching out on behalf of the OC. After further research i notice they were reporting my DOFD as 2018 when the debt is much older 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you pull your older reports and show the older date, you can use it to file a CFPB dispute.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I had the same situation happen with an AT&T bill. I called AT&T and asked them if I could pay them my past due account from 2017 and they said yes. I paid them and then called ERC and told them that I had already paid AT&T and to please delete their tradeline from my credit report. They asked me to email them the confirmation number for the payment. I sent that to them and 2 days later I received a notice from credit karma that the account was deleted and my score went up 53 points. 

Hope this helps! 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.