Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection agency dunning letter from Orbitz

New Contributor

Collection agency dunning letter from Orbitz

I just recieved a dunning letter from a collection agency although the date is showing 2 months old. They are saying that they are representing Orbitz and that because my credit card company charged back the amount, that I owe them the money. It was for 2 plane flights that were purchased online to Las Vegas, one in my name and the other one in my friends name. I disputed the charge through the CC company because I did not authorize or purchase any plane tickets to LV, nor have had any plans to go to LV. The CC company made me do an online fraud report and then refunded me the money for the purchased tickets (which my card was used for) and then issued me a new card since obviously someone had my CC number....I have never purchased anything from Orbitz or used them in my life...


The collection agency knows because they stated in their letter that it was from a reversed charge on a CC and is saying I owe them over a thousand dollars...they have not reported on my credit report yet...


I doubt they have my social but can this CA find it through some kind of name and address cross reference and put it on there? 

Any suggestions on what I should do?


Starting Score: EQ 575 EX 595 TR 524
Current Score: EQ 643 EX ??? TR 638
Goal Score: EQ 300 EX 300 TR 300

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collection agency dunning letter from Orbitz

Call the police and get a report filed for CC fraud and have the CC issue you a new card if not done already. If they ever report then you'd have the report on hand to get it off. They can report without a SSN. 



Message 2 of 3
Community Leader
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collection agency dunning letter from Orbitz


Once having filed the police report, send a copy to the CRA, which will block any reporting from your CR under FCRA 605B.


The identity theft process, under the provisions of section 615(g), also provides for sending a copy to a debt collector, and requesting that they provide to you all information to which you would normally be entitled if you had disputed the debt.  A way to compel disclosore of the basis for their collection activity outside of the normal FCRA dispute process.  Important in your case, as you must first have credit reporting in order to dispute its accuracy.  The identity theft process does not require prior credit reporting in order to exercise the same verification rights.


Get that police report, and lock them out!

Message 3 of 3