Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection back to haunt me?

tag
oneboss302
Regular Contributor

Collection back to haunt me?

it has been a while since I have posted and am in need of some assistance.

Over the summer of 09, I managed to have all of my collection accounts removed from my reports thanks to the wonderful help I received on this site. I sent DV's to all of the accounts, some were removed because they could not verify, some were removed after being very polite with the collection agency. Well here it is 6 mths later and I though all was good. I raised my Fico scores 100 pts and ther have been no further collection activites reported or calling me. I was also able to open several new CL's and have 5 new credit cards. I am being VERY careful with these and REFUSE to miss a payment.

To my surprise, I recieved letters from 2 collection agencies on friday. BOTH are for collection accounts that were previously REMOVED and I have not heard from them sense. My queston is What do I do now? Neither of these are on my credit reports. Both offer a 50% settlement amount. I really want to pay these off but am afraid that if I pay them, they will be listed on the reports again and I wont be able to remove them this time.

Neiter are Medical, 1 is for my Checking account that was overdrawn from an unauthorized debit about 3 years ago. (I did fight this with the bank at the time) and the other is a Cingular account that they can not verrify nor can I remember ever having. I already sent them a DV letter.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection back to haunt me?

You can do an amended PFD.  But rather than Pay For Delete....it would be Pay and Not Report.

Basically, you get a written agreement that they will accept a payment as settlement in full, and agree not to report the accounts to any CRA.  Then they are settled and won't come back to haunt your CR's.

Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 4
oneboss302
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you recomend that I offer to PIF for the Non-report or offer them the settlement ammount that they sent me for the Non-report? Thanks agian.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

PIF usually makes a PFD type agreement easier....but not necessarily always required.

You can make an offer of 50%....but on the other hand once you make a "pay for no report" offer, they understand you are concerned about it being reported and you have shown your hand....they have the leverage because of this.

If you want the "cleanest" deal....PIF is it.  They can't haggle over the percentage or settlement amount...they either accept or decline.  But on the other hand, until they agree to "not report" what benefit do you get in making the payment?  So you have mutual leverage.  They want the payment....you want the settlement and agreement not to report or to delete if reported.  PIF makes both sides get what they want with least problems.  Anything less requires time and negotiations.  You may have to make several rounds of offers or letters and follow up.  But you may have to do this anyway.  Some CA's are not overly receptive to any of these types of offers and you have to persevere until you get the job done.

Good luck!  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.