Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection company not validating yet reporting to credit bureau

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collection company not validating yet reporting to credit bureau

I concur with Norman's advice to also send another DV, this time under the TX finance code, as that will, if they dont validate within 30 days, require deletion of the collection from your credit report until such time as they do validate.

I would not pursue the assertion of a "2 year backdating."

A debt collector can, when reporting their collection, properly report a date opened as the date they received collection authority.

The date they received collection authority, either by assignement or sale of the debt, is not relevant to validation or to when it must become excluded from your credit report.

It is a side-issue not worth pursuing.

Message 11 of 19
bbb925
Regular Contributor

Can I do that even though I'm no longer a Texas resident? 

Message 12 of 19
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

No.

You must be a current TX resident to invoke their statutory requirements.

Message 13 of 19
bbb925
Regular Contributor

I didn't think so.  But I did find this information online. Considering I have proof I sent the letter, they would have to provide proof that they responded, right? So after reading the following, the fact they never responded should make it illegal to attach it to my credit, right?  I was in Texas when all this took place so I should fall under that umbrella of protection right?  

All debt collectors operating in the State of Texas must be able to verify, or “validate,” any debt on which they are attempting to collect payment.

Texas Finance Code Section 392.202 requires a debt collection agency or credit bureau to provide the alleged debtor with specific information concerning their debt including but not limited to:

• The name of the original creditor
  • The original date of default or non-payment of the debt
  • The date the debt was transferred from the original creditor to the third party debt collector
  • The original balance
  • The current balance
  • Surety bond information

How do I request a debt validation?

The most effective way to request a validation of debt is to send the debt collector a certified letter requesting specific information.

You must also request that the debt collector reply in writing to ensure that there is a record of all correspondence between yourself and the collection agency.

How much time does a debt collector have to respond to my debt validation request?

The debt collection agency has thirty (30) calendar days to respond to a debt validation request.

I sent a debt validation request and the debt collector failed to respond or did not respond in time. What next?

If a debt collector has failed to respond to your debt validation request, then they have essentially admitted, per Texas Finance Code 392.202(b)(2), that the debt in question is inaccurate.

As such, all collection efforts on the debt must cease and any derogatory listing should be permanently removed from any consumer credit reports.

The debt collector has five (5) days after admission of inaccuracy of this debt to cease collections and remove credit bureau listings. Failure by a collection agency to meet this five (5) day deadline means that they have violated Texas Law and would subject the third party debt collector to civil and criminal penalties.

By taking charge of your personal credit with the Big Tex Credit Repair Program, you can force credit collection agencies, through legal means, to stop collections, clear your credit report and restrict the transfer of the alleged debt to another collection agency.

Message 14 of 19
pmarti8
Valued Member

Is the collector updating each month that the debt is still outstanding or has it gone unupdated for awhile? What I would do is get a letter on company letterhead from your former employor stating in it that you do not owe them anything and that this item was placed for collection with out their knowledge or permission.  I would have them even spell out the collection's agency's name and the account number in their letter and include the title, contact information, and fax of the person authorizing and signing the letter.  Then send a copy and fax of that letter to Transunion as well as the collection agency.  If they still do not comply then puruse legal recourse. 

Starting Score: 07/2010 TU 541 EQ 593 Exp 529
Current Score:TU 654 EQ 644 EX 594 br>Goal Score:ALL 660 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 19
bbb925
Regular Contributor

No, they aren't updating. They just put it on my credit last month after a two year hiatus from first contact, and backdated it to 2 years ago.  So technically the collection is reporting as a 2 year old collection. My previous employer is huge,  worldwide, and to be able to achieve a letter from HR stating all that information is impossible.  Two years ago I had to jump through hoops to even get someone to look into this for me to see if I owed them anything and I was still current in their system. I've already been archived for two years. They have no obligation to help me nor take the time to write anything up.  I think that's why I'm going to have to go the lawyer route.  At least a lawyer can make things happen. If the lawyer can't fix this then I know I'm doomed with this collection for another 5.6years. I'll be back to my home office a week from tomorrow,  so I can get all the paperwork together and call the lawyer the following week to see what miracles they can provide. Thanks for the feedback! Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bbb925 wrote:

No, they aren't updating. They just put it on my credit last month after a two year hiatus from first contact, and backdated it to 2 years ago.  So technically the collection is reporting as a 2 year old collection. My previous employer is huge,  worldwide, and to be able to achieve a letter from HR stating all that information is impossible.  Two years ago I had to jump through hoops to even get someone to look into this for me to see if I owed them anything and I was still current in their system. I've already been archived for two years. They have no obligation to help me nor take the time to write anything up.  I think that's why I'm going to have to go the lawyer route.  At least a lawyer can make things happen. If the lawyer can't fix this then I know I'm doomed with this collection for another 5.6years. I'll be back to my home office a week from tomorrow,  so I can get all the paperwork together and call the lawyer the following week to see what miracles they can provide. Thanks for the feedback! Smiley Happy

The multiple moves make this difficult - if challenged regarding violating the cease collection bar, they will claim they sent validation to your last known address. Proving they didn't is difficult at best. Your best bet is getting your former employer to verify you never owed them anything. 

Message 17 of 19
bbb925
Regular Contributor

First contact was September, 2014. They received my validation letter and signed for it within my 30 day window.  I lived at that address almost 9 months after.  In Texas they are given 30 days to reply and 5 days to remove any activity on the credit reports and also cease any further action and it can't be active again with them or any new collector they may sell it to if they don't validate it or do it in a timely manner.  If they have a certified letter receipt with the date on it within the 30 days, like I do, then I would like to know why I never got it or was offered a chance to sign for it.  I have all my documentation trying to get this rectified but no validation was ever done. I know in my heart they don't have anything to go off of but my name, number and previous employer. I gave them my address to send the information to me.  If I was trying to avoid them I certainly could have ignored their calls and not cared. I can't imagine a judge would look at them and say they are in the right when they can't provide anything stipulating why or what this debt is owed by me for.   The fact they wanted me to obtain the documentation from my previous employer and send it to them with my payment makes me believe they don't have it and can't obtain it just like I can't.  They are grasping at straws and because I'm not versed in the legalities of bill collecting I can't get anywhere thus the reason for the lawyer. If this was mine I would have definitely paid it. My company had access and signed permission to deposit and withdrawal from my checking account if they ever needed to exercise their rights to get any money owed by me or overpaid to me.  I left on great terms.  It's not like I bailed out.  I was with them almost 10 years.  I gave a two week notice, had all my retirement, investments and stock transferred as well as benefits. My company had my new address so no reason they wouldn't have sent me a bill if I actually owed them.  I think any judge would see my due diligence as I don't want bad credit especially with my job and I have done everything by the book to take care of this.  This collector is not going to relent unless I can get someone with knowledge and can legally go after them. I see why so many people just give up and let it hurt their credit. It would be much easier to ride out the time left on my credit than to go through all this time consuming, money losing, stressful process to get it removed.  But I'm a fighter and I don't give up, especially with it not being mine.  I will take every action I legally can to get them out of my life.  Maybe by me doing this it might help other people from being screwed in the future.  We could only hope! Smiley HappyThanks for the feedback and your time,  it's much appreciated. Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bbb925 wrote:

First contact was September, 2014. They received my validation letter and signed for it within my 30 day window.  I lived at that address almost 9 months after.  In Texas they are given 30 days to reply and 5 days to remove any activity on the credit reports and also cease any further action and it can't be active again with them or any new collector they may sell it to if they don't validate it or do it in a timely manner.  If they have a certified letter receipt with the date on it within the 30 days, like I do, then I would like to know why I never got it or was offered a chance to sign for it.  I have all my documentation trying to get this rectified but no validation was ever done. I know in my heart they don't have anything to go off of but my name, number and previous employer. I gave them my address to send the information to me.  If I was trying to avoid them I certainly could have ignored their calls and not cared. I can't imagine a judge would look at them and say they are in the right when they can't provide anything stipulating why or what this debt is owed by me for.   The fact they wanted me to obtain the documentation from my previous employer and send it to them with my payment makes me believe they don't have it and can't obtain it just like I can't.  They are grasping at straws and because I'm not versed in the legalities of bill collecting I can't get anywhere thus the reason for the lawyer. If this was mine I would have definitely paid it. My company had access and signed permission to deposit and withdrawal from my checking account if they ever needed to exercise their rights to get any money owed by me or overpaid to me.  I left on great terms.  It's not like I bailed out.  I was with them almost 10 years.  I gave a two week notice, had all my retirement, investments and stock transferred as well as benefits. My company had my new address so no reason they wouldn't have sent me a bill if I actually owed them.  I think any judge would see my due diligence as I don't want bad credit especially with my job and I have done everything by the book to take care of this.  This collector is not going to relent unless I can get someone with knowledge and can legally go after them. I see why so many people just give up and let it hurt their credit. It would be much easier to ride out the time left on my credit than to go through all this time consuming, money losing, stressful process to get it removed.  But I'm a fighter and I don't give up, especially with it not being mine.  I will take every action I legally can to get them out of my life.  Maybe by me doing this it might help other people from being screwed in the future.  We could only hope! Smiley HappyThanks for the feedback and your time,  it's much appreciated. Smiley Happy

For a texas DV to have any standing you MUST specifically state you are invoking Texas law as a texas resident - otherwise it is treated as a normal DV under FDCPA. Despite any return address given, they have no way of determining what your state of residence is, they are simply not going to make the assumption. I don't doubt your sincerity one bit - I'm simply pointing out the realities of the situation. As you said this just recently showed up on your reports, so if challenged they will claim they sent validation to an old address to try to weasel out of the collection bar violation.

You need to read up as much as you can on this stuff - I would suggest googling phases like "sue your collector" and such. You may not even need to hire a lawyer. CA's do not like to be dragged into court, many will simply capitulate when sent a summons for their violations.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.