Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection for Utility Bill Paid to Utility Co

tag
codefreak13
Regular Contributor

Re: Collection for Utility Bill Paid to Utility Co

I finally got a letter back from Americollect. Of course it says 'please accept the enclosed information in response to your inquiry and request for validation ... this account will be reported as paid in full...'. All the next page says is my Peoples Gas account number, a 'new account' date of 12/13/2013 and a 'direct' transaction on 4/12/13 with a recepit number showing it as paid. I wrote specifically in my letter 'this is not a request for DV under FDCPA 809b'. I doubt that I will be able to get the OC to give me in writing that they did not send this account to Americollect.

Are there any other options at this point? I'm guessing the two, separate people I talked to either lied that the account was sent out just to accept the payment. Is it time to GW Americollect to death? Thanks again.

Message 11 of 20
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Send a GW letter requesting politely the removal of the information.  Meanwhile I would contact the gas company and request itemized statements.  That would give you some fuel to go on should you have to go the ITS letter route.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 12 of 20
codefreak13
Regular Contributor

Dun dun dun ... plot thickens! Smiley Happy

Spoke to the OC and they now state it DID go to collections, and confirmed it went to Americollect at the time they said it did. However, they stated it went BACK to the OC in 'early April' before I paid it over the phone. I asked for a letter proving that the collection was sent to Americollect from Peoples Gas along with the date, and she said I could only do it with a written request faxed in. So my guess is that there was no real "pullback of the debt" as she said, only that the OC could always accept payment for it, and that I am stuck with Americollect on my CR.

A 40-something point drop in my scores and potential 7yrs of CR damage for $21 I did not even know I owed, and paid to the OC as soon as I found out I had it. Lessons learned, heh.

Now, on to GW fax that Peoples Gas number GW mail Americollect once a week for the foreseeable future Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 20
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Any time a 3rd party CA has a debt that is returned to the OC, the CA has to delete their TL.  Credit Reporting Resource Guide says they do.

If the debt was returned to the OC before you paid it the CA cannot continue to report their TL.  They no longer have collection authority.

Message 14 of 20
codefreak13
Regular Contributor

I'll try to get proof from Peoples Gas then that the debt was returned to them prior to payment. I have a suspicion that the lady on the phone just didn't know what she was talking about though. I'll send a fax to the OC requesting proof that the debt was returned to their posession and see where it goes.

Message 15 of 20
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 16 of 20
codefreak13
Regular Contributor

Just wanted to post an update for anyone else in a similar situation. Peoples Gas kept sending a document stating a payment was made, but would not send something stating they pulled back from the CA (even after they said they would). Given that the DV and subsequent GW's failed to Americollect, I decided to file a BBB complaint.

Aaaaaaaaaand only 48 hours I receive an e-mail from BBB with their response that they are removing their tradeline! I just pulled my report from EIDT, and it's already gone!!! Thanks so much to the people on this forum, I would not have even thought GWs, DVs, complaints, etc were even possible. Smiley Happy

My exact wording is in the next post in case anyone is interested.

Message 17 of 20
codefreak13
Regular Contributor

To Whom It May Concern:

I received notification from Peoples Gas (original creditor) that I had an outstanding balance due on a gas utility account #****** which I promptly paid directly to Peoples Gas over the phone on 4/01/13. At this same time I pulled my credit reports, only to find this account listed by Americollect, Inc. as in collections. I called Peoples Gas and they confirmed that the account was pulled back from Americollect, Inc. and that Americollect, Inc. no longer had authority to collect on this account. I sent a letter to Americollect, Inc. on 4/19/13 stating that while I am NOT looking for debt verification under FDCPA §809(b), they ARE incorrectly reporting account information to my credit files and requested they immediately delete their tradeline under FCRA §623(a)(8)(D). I received a letter dated 4/25/13 ignoring my request, and simply updating the account to show as paid. I NEVER paid Americollect, Inc. and they DID NOT have the account in their possession at time of payment to Peoples Gas.

I demand immediate removal of this invalid account's tradelines from all of my credit reports.

Message 18 of 20
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Very nice job!!!!! You get one of these!!!!! 

Jim Carrey.gif

Message 19 of 20
codefreak13
Regular Contributor

Thanks DaBears. Diehard Bears fan here since I was 2 years old in 1984 Smiley Happy

Now when Americollect hit in February I lost 49 points. Let's all place bets on the fact that I do not recoup all of it back with its deletion lol.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.