Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection from 2003

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection from 2003

I received a letter from a collection company recently regarding an account that was from 2003.  The account is not showing up on my credit report and they are wanting to settle it for $60.

Should I pay it??  Can the collection agency that sent me the letter report it on my credit report even though it has fallen off??

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection from 2003

They can, but you can dispute it since its older than 7 years old.  I personally wouldn't pay it.  I would shred it and move on.  Water under the bridge

Message 2 of 13
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I received a letter from a collection company recently regarding an account that was from 2003.  The account is not showing up on my credit report and they are wanting to settle it for $60.

Should I pay it??  Can the collection agency that sent me the letter report it on my credit report even though it has fallen off??

They can't legally report it. The CRTP (Credit Reporting Time Period) has long expired. But the debt remains and they can attempt to collect forever.

Message 3 of 13
ceejx
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If they start to bug you, I would suggest sending them a cease and desist letter since you are well past SOL and credit reporting timeline otherwise +1 on ignoring and tearing it up

Message 4 of 13
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@seigex wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If they start to bug you, I would suggest sending them a cease and desist letter since you are well past SOL and credit reporting timeline otherwise +1 on ignoring and tearing it up

It is 60 dollars.. if the debt is legit, why not settle to have it legally gone, so you don't have to play this dunning dance every year for the next 15 years as CA's keep selling and reseling this debt?!?!

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 5 of 13
ceejx
Established Contributor

@rckstrscott wrote:

@seigex wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It is 60 dollars.. if the debt is legit, why not settle to have it legally gone, so you don't have to play this dunning dance every year for the next 15 years as CA's keep selling and reseling this debt?!?!

-scott

what's the dance? they can't report it, they can't collect on it... it's 9 years old ... you're right it's only $60 but it's $60 they aren't legally entitled to...  the CA didn't provide the OP with any service they deserve $60 for... just my $0.02

Message 6 of 13
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@seigex wrote:

what's the dance? they can't report it, they can't collect on it... it's 9 years old ... you're right it's only $60 but it's $60 they aren't legally entitled to...  the CA didn't provide the OP with any service they deserve $60 for... just my $0.02

Even though they can't report it to the CRAs they can certainly attempt to collect on it.  Or they'll just sell it to another CA who will attempt to collect.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 13
ceejx
Established Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@seigex wrote:

Even though they can't report it to the CRAs they can certainly attempt to collect on it.  Or they'll just sell it to another CA who will attempt to collect.

They can attempt all they want... but they're about the same level of priority as carpet cleaning junk mail I'd get

Message 8 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I tend to agree with the point made by rckstrscott.

If its a legitimate debt, CR exclusion does not make it "go away."

Sure, you can send a cease communication letter, blocking any further communication with you.  Yes, it is beyond SOL, so you legally dont have to pay.

But there is something to be said, when asked by a creditor if you have any old, delinquent debt, of being able to respond "no."

CR exclusion does not mean no unpaid, delinquent debt, just that it is not readily discoverable by a simple pull of your CR.

It is not, in my opinion, on the same par as junk mail.

Message 9 of 13
2NE1
Established Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

I tend to agree with the point made by rckstrscott.

If its a legitimate debt, CR exclusion does not make it "go away."

Sure, you can send a cease communication letter, blocking any further communication with you.  Yes, it is beyond SOL, so you legally dont have to pay.

But there is something to be said, when asked by a creditor if you have any old, delinquent debt, of being able to respond "no."

CR exclusion does not mean no unpaid, delinquent debt, just that it is not readily discoverable by a simple pull of your CR.

It is not, in my opinion, on the same par as junk mail.

+1
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.