Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection isn’t mine, where to begin?

tag
Invictus2905
New Contributor

Collection isn’t mine, where to begin?

As the title states I just did my weekly credit pull from annualcreditreport and I seen a new collection account from Nashville fire EMS for what I assume is medical services. I have never been to Nashville a day in my life much less had them provide medical services to me.I live 800 miles from there. The collection is with Automated collection services which is based in Nashville as well. 

I tried calling both the CA and the Nashville Fire Billing dept but both are closed over the weekend. I have worked so hard to rebuild my credit and I am freaking out right now. I have never had this happen and I would really like to know the next best steps to take to address this? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

Re: Collection isn’t mine, where to being?

@Invictus2905 wrote:

As the title states I just did my weekly credit pull from annualcreditreport and I seen a new collection account from Nashville fire EMS for what I assume is medical services. I have never been to Nashville a day in my life much less had them provide medical services to me.I live 800 miles from there. The collection is with Automated collection services which is based in Nashville as well. 

I tried calling both the CA and the Nashville Fire Billing dept but both are closed over the weekend. I have worked so hard to rebuild my credit and I am freaking out right now. I have never had this happen and I would really like to know the next best steps to take to address this? 

First don't freak out.  These are annoying but can be dealt with when you are 100% certain it isn't yours.  First step is call them.  It is entirely possible that due to an address/name error it ended up on your report and they may be able to fix it by phone.  If you do solve it this way follow up immediately with a letter to the person you spoke with at the CA and a copy to the Nashville EMS documenting your conversation, they have the wrong consumer, and what steps they are taking immediately to fix the mistake.  That way if they don't do what they should you are one step closer to suing for the error if you have to.  The alternative it to send a dispute letter but that will take longer through the mail.

I had something similar happen years ago.  I received a letter in the mail on a Friday (this stuff always arrives then when you have to stew about it all weekend) from the DMV in Virginia stating my driver's license was suspended by the court in Virginia Beach and a warrant was out for failure to appear on a traffic citation for reckless driving.  I lived in Richmond and hadn't been to VAB.  It was 4:35 pm.  I managed to get the court clerk on the phone who confirmed they had nothing on ME but said it would take 4-6 weeks for them to deal with it.  My response was wanna bet?   I got the DMV on the line in a conference call and basically told both that if I got arrested for the warrant and ended up with charges for driving on a suspended license when mine was in good standing that I would be suing them individually and the state as well.  Amazingly they fixed it right there.  Never had an issue.  Had I not opened the mail right away I could have easily been out and stopped and ended up in jail or worse.  

Message 2 of 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collection isn’t mine, where to being?

If this truly isnt yours then you will use the laws afforded you in the FCRA to have it excluded from you CRs.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Victim-of-Identity-Theft-What-To-Do-to-Protect...

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.