cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection letter from 8 yr old debt

tag
Chickenlil155

Collection letter from 8 yr old debt

I received a letter today from a debt collector for a debt that is 8-9 yrs old. Statue of limitations is well past on it. Is there some type of letter I can send them about this? Like a don't contact me again about this debt. I dont want to pay it and it go on my report as new debt. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collection letter from 8 yr old debt

@Chickenlil155 wrote:

I received a letter today from a debt collector for a debt that is 8-9 yrs old. Statue of limitations is well past on it. Is there some type of letter I can send them about this? Like a don't contact me again about this debt. I dont want to pay it and it go on my report as new debt. 

A debt cannot be repoted again once its past 7.5 yrs from the original creditors DoFD so if its this old it wont be going back on your CRs. You can send them a cease and desist contact letter if you wish to not hear from them again. They may sell it to someone else who you will hear from and then have to go thru the same process they can attempt to collect basically forever unless you live in WI or MS where the debt is offically dead when the SOL is hit.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collection letter from 8 yr old debt

"You are notified that, under the provisions of FDCPA 805(c), you are to cease any communication with me regarding the identified debt."

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.