cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection letter question Update:contacted by law firm

tag
pakaramom

Collection letter question Update:contacted by law firm

Long time lurker with a question.   Bit of background, we declared Chapter 7 BK over 10 years ago and it is no longer on our credit report.  I think it dropped off last year maybe?  We hadn't been diligently checking our credit reports - didn't know this board existed until last year!  So now we're trying to rebuild our credit and seems to be going okay.  Back in 2018 I had a Barclay card that I fell behind in paying and they stopped allowing me to make payments on it.  Fast forward to 2020 when I started checking my credit report, I never noticed that the Barclary card wasn't listed on it, not sure why it dropped off?  Fast forward again to yesterday when I rec'd a letter from STillman Law Office on behalf of Oliphant Financial, and they're trying to collect that debt.   

I guess my questions are:  Why isn't the barclay card on any of my credit reports and if I pay this will it then go on my credit report? 

Thanks!

working on a sig

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Collection letter question

I suppose Barclays decided to stop reporting for whatever reason. That benefits you since it would've been a derogatory account that stayed on your reports for 7 years.

As for paying the collection, it's possible they put it on your reports, but if you *don't* pay it, then they for sure will put it on your reports. Usually, if you pay/make some sort of arrangement within 30 days of the dunning notice, they won't place the collection on your reports as long as you honor the terms of the agreement/pay in full/settle up front.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 4
pakaramom

Small Claims Court question

I had a Barclay's card that I had been paying on back in 2017 but then they stopped allowing me to make payments and it disappeared off my credit report.  Rec'd a letter from Stillman Law office and I called them to set up a payment plan, sent off the first payment this week.  Today I rec'd a notice that the Law Office is taking me to Small Claims Court over the amount.  

Law Office is closed until Monday but, has this happened to anyone?  I really wasn't expecting this.

Message 3 of 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Small Claims Court question

@pakaramom wrote:

I had a Barclay's card that I had been paying on back in 2017 but then they stopped allowing me to make payments and it disappeared off my credit report.  Rec'd a letter from Stillman Law office and I called them to set up a payment plan, sent off the first payment this week.  Today I rec'd a notice that the Law Office is taking me to Small Claims Court over the amount.  

Law Office is closed until Monday but, has this happened to anyone?  I really wasn't expecting this.

I haven't had anything happen like that when I had already started paying, only when I hadn't started paying yet. Definitely call the law firm and straighten things out on Monday.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.