Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection notices and credit reports

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection notices and credit reports

Here's my situation.  My father opened a phone bill under his name 30+ years ago for his business.  He retired and the company was sold to his sons and changed to a corporation.  The corp filed for banckruptcy 2 years ago and everything was handed over to a trustee.  My father went to get pre-approved for a mortgage on a second home and found out the phone company had kept charging him a monthly fee for the lines (including T1 lines and multiple phone lines, none of which he signed up for) and gave it to collections.  The bill is for $7,000.  He was never notified by the phone company he even had an outstanding balance.  The place of business was vacated two years ago and the building sold.   The phones were turned off and not working when we left.  Apparently these are charges for after the bankruptcy.  His credit is truly stellar and this is the only blemish.  Any suggestions?  Any help would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection notices and credit reports

Ericjmurray wrote:
Here's my situation.  My father opened a phone bill under his name 30+ years ago for his business.  He retired and the company was sold to his sons and changed to a corporation.  The corp filed for banckruptcy 2 years ago and everything was handed over to a trustee.  My father went to get pre-approved for a mortgage on a second home and found out the phone company had kept charging him a monthly fee for the lines (including T1 lines and multiple phone lines, none of which he signed up for) and gave it to collections.  The bill is for $7,000.  He was never notified by the phone company he even had an outstanding balance.  The place of business was vacated two years ago and the building sold.   The phones were turned off and not working when we left.  Apparently these are charges for after the bankruptcy.  His credit is truly stellar and this is the only blemish.  Any suggestions?  Any help would be appreciated.

When the business changed, did the name on the phone accounts?
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.