Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection on CR without Creditor Name

tag
js0319
Established Contributor

Collection on CR without Creditor Name

I have a medical collection on my credit report, and one on my wife's credit report (both have different balances and acct. #'s) that do not have a creditor name listed. These are being reported only by Experian, and I found this information on a 3-bureau CR from a lender pull. However, I looked at my CR from Experian and this account does not show. How can a collection be reported on a CR without stating who it's from or who the OC is? How do I find out who owns this debt? Do I dispute with the Experian?

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Lois5669
Frequent Contributor

Re: Collection on CR without Creditor Name

If the report was pulled from a 3rd party, it will leave out a lot of information sometimes. Pull your report directly from EX. If you haven't pulled your free report in the last 12 months, go to annualcreditreport.com and get it. If you have already done this, just go pull a report directly from EX's website. It will have much more detailed info than from 3rd party pulls.

Starting Score: EQ = 550; TU = 491(2/10/12)
Current Score: EQ = 669; TU = 674(6/20/14)
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@js0319 wrote:

However, I looked at my CR from Experian and this account does not show.

I've often wondered if the CR that we get directly from the CRAs shows "EVERYTHING."   Also, I've heard some on here describe what "we" get from annualcreditreport as a "sanitized" version and, that the actual reports that lenders get have A LOT more information on them that we never see.  

But, who knows what the straight of it really is.  I would love to hear from someone on here who is a lender and pulls CRs all the time so that we would KNOW for sure what's what. 

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

No CR you get from anyone shows "everything."

You credit file is thousands of lines of codes, reflecting everthing from your ECOA code, Payment Rating code, sometimes DOFD, etc. etc.

All CRs, regardless of origin, are just a pick and choose.

FDCPA 809(a) is there so that a consumer does not have to rely on their credit report to become aware of the reporting of a collection, the name of the creditor, the amount of the debt, the ability to request debt validation, their contract address, etc.  Many consumers dont even pull their CRs.

Upon reporting to a CRA, that triggers the requirement that they provide you dunning notice within 5 days.  In that notice,the name of the creditor is required.

I would not dispute at this point.  You probably, without knowing more, dont have enough info now to assert an actual inaccuracy in their reporting.  And I doubt that you want a dispute flag placed in your credit file, as that will temporarily make your current FICO score useless.

I would call the CRA, explain that the debt collector has never contacted you, and that you need their address to send them a debt validation request.  Reporting of a collection requires the name of the reporting party, and the name of the creditor.

The debt collector's apparent violation of FDCPA 809(a) has put you in this position.

Message 4 of 5
js0319
Established Contributor

Great info! I'll call Equifax on Monday.

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.