cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection paid showing open account status?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection paid showing open account status?

I have one collection on my EQ report. It's from CMI, collecting for Charter Comunications. It shows account type: Collection, date opened: 03/31/2013, account status: open, account statusSmiley Tongueaid, status updated: 12/13/2013, original amount: $71.

My question is if the "open" status is correct for a paid collection?

Secondly, should I persue this if it's wrong?

I plan to apply for a mortgage in about 6 months or so and I'm not sure if this showing as an open account will cause a problem since it also shows as paid.

I made the mistake recently of disputing a Verizon charge-off from two years ago only to get hit with a string of recent 120 day lates. ( why a cell phone company would nuke your credit for 7 years over a couple hundred bucks is beyond me, but that's another thread!)  

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collection paid showing open account status?

A paid collection, provided the debt collector concurs that the entire debt was discharged and thus is not pursuing any asserted additional amounts, should be updated to closed.

I would call and remind them of their lack of final update to show that the collection is closed, which will put to rest an question by any future creditor as to whether they might still be pursuing any asserted fees, charges, etc. 

If informal requests dont provide update within a month of so, then file a formal dispute of lack of required update (FCRA 623(a)(2)).

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.