Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection pay or no?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection pay or no?

Good afternoon all. This is my first post.

I am looking to purchase a car late December and would like to get my scores as high as possible before then.

Currently my situation is:

FICO 8 EQ 646 TU 629 EX 627

Cap One $0/$300 balance reported. A couple of old late payments

Bank of America $0/$1500  ($948 payment not reported yet)

NFCU $8030/$25,000 balance reported.Utilization is 34% but will be dropped in have by mid Nov.

A closed car loan in July with good payment history

I have a collection for $550 from Southwest Credit from a old Comcast bill. The colection is only a year old.

I was told that NFCU uses FICO 9 for auto loans. And that I should pay because FICO 9 does not penalize collections as long as they are paid?

Is this correct? Or Should I just leave it there and take my chances. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Collection pay or no?

@Anonymous wrote:

Good afternoon all. This is my first post.

I am looking to purchase a car late December and would like to get my scores as high as possible before then.

Currently my situation is:

FICO 8 EQ 646 TU 629 EX 627

Cap One $0/$300 balance reported. A couple of old late payments How old and what are they? 30 60 90 120?

Bank of America $0/$1500  ($948 payment not reported yet)

NFCU $8030/$25,000 balance reported.Utilization is 34% but will be dropped in have by mid Nov. Get this below 28%. Closer to 8% even better.

A closed car loan in July with good payment history

I have a collection for $550 from Southwest Credit from a old Comcast bill. The colection is only a year old.

I was told that NFCU uses FICO 9 for auto loans. And that I should pay because FICO 9 does not penalize collections as long as they are paid? Correct.

Is this correct? Or Should I just leave it there and take my chances. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What are you FICO 8 scores. You can get them at credit check total and cancel before the week trial ends. I know NFCU pulls 9 but seeing 8's help some.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

In addition to what @FireMedic1 posted, yes pay it if you can. They may even do a PFD. 

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both for the replies. I really appreciate it.

Cap One $0/$300 balance reported. A couple of old late payments How old and what are they? 30 60 90 120? The last late payment was 11 months ago 30 late.

NFCU $8030/$25,000 balance reported.Utilization is 34% but will be dropped in have by mid Nov. Get this below 28%. Closer to 8% even better. Plan is to have it down atleast $4k inless than 30 days. Hopefully by Nov 20.

My scores are:

FICO 8           EQ 646  TU 629  EX 627

FICO 9           EQ 647  TU 644  EX 660

FICO 8 Auto EQ 663   TU 651  EX 647

FICO 9 Auto EQ 662   TU 661  EX 678

If I can negotiate a PFD for the collection that would be my ideal option. If not should I just pay in full?

Message 4 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

A poster in the rebuild section with Comcast was asking about the CA. I always say go to the source first. Call Comcrap and offer to PIF and kindly ask if they would recall the debt from the CA. It was a med condition. But. It worked in their case the other day. Cant hurt to try. No company is going to turn down $$$$$. Good Luck!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just contacted Comcast/Xfinity and they said they would accept the payment. (YES) I am OMW there now to take care of it. The repp over the phone would not give me details about how long it would take to recall the debt. As long as I have a PIF from Comcast then I can show the Big 3 I don't owe Southwest Credit and hopefully get it dropped quickly. Fingers crossed. Thanks again!

Message 6 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Awesome! Congrats. Fingers crossed it all goes poof. And be a distant memory soon. Lets us know so it can help others. And if I forgot. Welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I paid Comcast directly then asked Southwest Credit to delete. The promptly declined.

I went ahead today and applied for used car loan with Navy Fed. I was approved for $35K on 5.6%APR

Thank you all again for your input & help. 

Message 8 of 10
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

Since you paid Comcast directly, dispute the CA.  "I owe Comcast Nothing"

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 9 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats @Anonymous ! Enjoy your new ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.