Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection sent with no letter/call/nothing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection sent with no letter/call/nothing

Hello! So I'm trying to build my credit, I have two years in the US, 1.2 years since I started rebuilding.

I have a 650 score in the three bureaus, with no collections, until this month. I got an alert and a collection from AMSHER COLLECTION SERVICES, regarding a T-Mobile account which I sincerely forget to pay. The thing is, they did not try to contact me, sending a letter, call or whatever. My account with TMobile was linked to my current address and my current phone number. Amsher did not try to contact me at all. They simply put my account in collection.

Is this possible? I know that they must contact you BEFORE, because you got the 30-days to "fight" the collection or pay it with no reporting.

The amount is not big ($160), but it drop my score 60 points. My payment history was an A+.

Should I call them? Try to know what happened with the communication?

Thanks!

Jaime Q.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection sent with no letter/call/nothing

Send the CA a PFD letter.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Probably when you signed your contract with them, that was all the notice they are required to give you when you fail to pay your account as agreed (most do). 

If this debt is not yours, contact each CB it's on and file a dispute and they are required by law to investigate it, however if this debt is yours..contact the agency and pay it. You have several options in that....some here will recommend a "Pay for Delete" that's where they will delete if you pay it, or to settle the account for less then whats owed. 

Any choice you make on how you pay this account, the company by law can carry it on your credit report for 7 years but future and current creditors look much more favorable on accounts paid then not

Good Luck

Message 3 of 5
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello! So I'm trying to build my credit, I have two years in the US, 1.2 years since I started rebuilding.

I have a 650 score in the three bureaus, with no collections, until this month. I got an alert and a collection from AMSHER COLLECTION SERVICES, regarding a T-Mobile account which I sincerely forget to pay. The thing is, they did not try to contact me, sending a letter, call or whatever. My account with TMobile was linked to my current address and my current phone number. Amsher did not try to contact me at all. They simply put my account in collection.

Is this possible? I know that they must contact you BEFORE, because you got the 30-days to "fight" the collection or pay it with no reporting.

The amount is not big ($160), but it drop my score 60 points. My payment history was an A+.

Should I call them? Try to know what happened with the communication?

Thanks!

Jaime Q.

The Collection letter your sent by any CA is a courtesy, not a requirement.  However, now that they've placed it on your credit report. This usually means they must now contact via phone call or mail to let you know they are pursing payment for the account. Usually it's within 5-7 days you should receive notice of their pursuit. The 30 day clock to investigate the account only starts after they've made contact with you about the account.  

You may want to consider contacting T-mobile to ask if they can retract the collection from the CA, in exchange for paying T-Mobile directly. 

Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards

If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually dealt with this agency in January of this year.  My collection was for $43.00 and I didn't receive any information regarding it either (not that I can recall that is).  I sent a check for the $43 that was showing on my credit report along with a letter asking that they send a receipt showing that the account was paid in full.  I watched my account like a hawk and, as soon as the check cleared, I sent a goodwill letter.  The only thing I remember getting back was something that said the account had been deleted and then I watched my reports and they deleted it just like they said they would.  I'm not sure if the fact that I didn't send a PFD helped in that scenario or not, but I wanted to share my experience with them.  Good luck!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.