cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection sold... Is this a window to get rid of it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection sold... Is this a window to get rid of it?

I have finally realized that it's best to leave collections alone until they fall off in seven years (Wish I had known that before I paid off a $1200 collection that's still just sitting there). Here's my question though:
I've had a collection since 2015 with stellar recovery which they bought from Comcast. I noticed last month that it disappeared from one of my reports. I just got something in the mail from a new company, AFNI, detailing the Comcast debt and offering a settlement. Does this mean that stellar recovery sold it to them, and if I pay it now it before it's reported that it won't be reported to my credit and therefore it will be gone for good instead of waiting seven years? Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

Re: Collection sold... Is this a window to get rid of it?

I believe you would have to reach an agreement with them that if you pay it, they won't report it.  Nothing is automatic when it comes to collectors.

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes, if you call them and obtain a pay for not reporting agreement, you can prevent any reporting.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I have finally realized that it's best to leave collections alone until they fall off in seven years (Wish I had known that before I paid off a $1200 collection that's still just sitting there). Here's my question though:
I've had a collection since 2015 with stellar recovery which they bought from Comcast. I noticed last month that it disappeared from one of my reports. I just got something in the mail from a new company, AFNI, detailing the Comcast debt and offering a settlement. Does this mean that stellar recovery sold it to them, and if I pay it now it before it's reported that it won't be reported to my credit and therefore it will be gone for good instead of waiting seven years? Thanks in advance!

Although by no means is it a universal rule, many CA's will initially give you a 30 day grace period after they send the first notice. If paid during that time period they usually will not report. Reporting actually costs them money, and doing so after already being paid is a pretty dumb business practice.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, I got DirecTV off my reports that way. It moved from Diversified Consultants to AFNI.

The Telcomms generally do not sell their debts outright - they use a list of CA's as "hired guns". You will likely see a statement somewhere on AFNI's dunning notice saying that you have the option to pay Comcast directly if you wish.

Paying them quickly will keep the collection off your reports. If the first collector is still showing you can dispute with a statement of "collector does not have collection authority for this item"

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.