Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection with convergent, but paid sprint. Question

tag
povertybro
Contributor

Collection with convergent, but paid sprint. Question

I recently got a collection on my credit report from convergent,, around april 25th I believe, and called sprint to pay it. Sprint said if I pay them that there will be no debt so convergent will have nothing to report so it should fall off.  So I paid it. 

It hasn't fallen off as of yet, how long should I give it and who should I be contacting now?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Collection with convergent, but paid sprint. Question

@povertybro wrote:

I recently got a collection on my credit report from convergent,, around april 25th I believe, and called sprint to pay it. Sprint said if I pay them that there will be no debt so convergent will have nothing to report so it should fall off.  So I paid it. 

It hasn't fallen off as of yet, how long should I give it and who should I be contacting now?

Unfortunately you were given bad/misinformation. Unless sprint recalled the debt the collection agency is free to continue to report it since they had collection authority at the time it was paid. As long as the CA reports a $0 balance now it is reporting correctly. 

Just paying a delinquent debt doesn't make the account go away. 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same situation from a phone bill that I got after switching carriers. I paid the debt and immediately disputed it on experian. 3 days later it was removed from my report.

From what I understand is that the CA received their money so they won't bother responding to the dispute.

Message 3 of 6
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

@povertybro Unfortunately Sprint may have given you some incorrect information "unless" they were going to call the account back from collection. Typically when an original creditor sells the debt to a collection agency they no longer own the debt and I believe that were supposed to advise you to contact the collection agency. You can also contact the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) that governs all communication providers and they will contact Sprint on your behalf and I can assure you that Sprint will immediately resolve the issue. However, there are (mod cut-stop with the posting of work of mods or what they do its against this boards TOS) more experienced "myFICOers" that may be able to chime in and give you more defined guidance. Wishing you success in resolving this issue.

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 4 of 6
House2021
Established Contributor

I had a similar situation but the collection agency was ERC, it came off within 3 weeks for me. 

Message 5 of 6
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

@dragontears Thanks for posting . . . That's exactly what I thought. If @povertybro files a complaint with the FCC, I bet Sprint recalls the debt as they were certainly in the wrong for accepting payment!!!

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.