Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections 19 y/o

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collections 19 y/o

Hi everyone, I'm 19 years old and just recently found out I had an account in collections from University of Maryland for an application fee ($76), I moved away from home to attend college and my parents were supposed to pay my application fee but apparently it never got paid. I checked Credit Karma yesterday and the CCU finally reported the account onto my TransUnion report, it says the CCU account was opened in Dec. 2016 (when I applied), however I paid the account last month after I found out about it and they just reported it for the first time ever yesterday (10/8/17). Why did it take almost 2 years for them to report the account onto my credit and if it was paid in full before it was reported why report it at all? I guess what I'm asking is if there is any way to remove it? This is my only negative on my CR's and i'm looking to get a mortgage in the next 2 years. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Collections 19 y/o

Send a goodwill letter requesting that they delete the tradeline.  Make it a personal letter, not a form letter.  Explain that you were unaware that your parents had not paid it etc.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 5
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

How old were you when the application was filled out..?

17, or 18? Huge difference if you were 17

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 3 of 5
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Welcome to the forums, and I'm sure you'll get some great advice. @fltireguy has a great question.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately I was 18 when I applied.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.