Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections Hardball?

tag
CrimsonMoon93
Contributor

Collections Hardball?

Has anyone ever played hardball with a CA? How did it go? What did you do?

I received a settlement of 2000 from 3358 with my original ask of 1750. Has anyone rebutted with a lower amount than the original? 

Starting Score 12/2018: 521 EX; 553 TU; 508 EQ
Current Score 04/2021: 627 EX; 632 TU; 622 EQ
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collections Hardball?

@CrimsonMoon93 wrote:

I received a settlement of 2000 from 3358 with my original ask of 1750. Has anyone rebutted with a lower amount than the original? 

You want to ask for less than 1750 when they only offered 2000? I mean, it seems like a fair offer.

Message 2 of 6
CrimsonMoon93
Contributor

I agree it is fair and will most likely take it. Just wondering if anyone has done something like this or other things

@Anonymous wrote:

@CrimsonMoon93 wrote:

You want to ask for less than 1750 when they only offered 2000? I mean, it seems like a fair offer.

Starting Score 12/2018: 521 EX; 553 TU; 508 EQ
Current Score 04/2021: 627 EX; 632 TU; 622 EQ
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

How old is this debt? Is it outside SOL? Is it still reporting on your CRs?

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

While a debt remains unpaid, the consumer is not in a position to play substantial hardball with respect to collection of the debt.  The debt collector is likely in more of a hardball position than the consumer, particularly if the debt remains within SOL.  Even if outside of SOL, interest can usually continue to accrue, and the debt collector can make regular updated reporting that the collection remains open and unpaid,thus increasing the reported period since initial delinquency.

Hardball, to the extent that it might mean increased leverage on a debt collector, normally does not occur until the debt has become outside of SOL and/or the period since initial delinquency has extended past 7'ish years, resulting in credit report exclusion of the reported collection.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CrimsonMoon93 It is possible to get a lower offer by continuing to negotiate. It does depend on a few factors including debt age, whether its being reported on your CR, whether the debt is within the SOL for your state, whether you can reach out to the original creditor, among other things.

I agree that their counter offer is a good one. But without additional info it's hard to give better advice.

Keep in mind while debt collectors purchase debt for pennies on the dollar, if you truly owe the debt it is still your responsibility to take care of the amount owed (Not really lecturing you, but just saying this in general).

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.