cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections Not On Credit Report

tag
girlindebt

Collections Not On Credit Report

I have a couple of credit card accounts that are reported as charge-offs on my credit report.  However, none are currently denoted as "collections" accounts from a reporting perspective.  They are still reporting the balance monthly, which is hitting my utilization.  These are sizable debts ($5k+) and fairly recent charge-offs (less than 2 years) so the SOL is well within the limit.

I have received settlement offers via mail from:

• American Express Global Collections (American Express)
  • Client Services Incorporated (Chase)

My question is IF I accept their settlement offers, will they then turn around and report them as paid-settled "collection" accounts as soon as I pay?

I'm trying to avoid that from occuring and just take the hit on the charge-offs with a zero balance.  I'm afraid if I pay, they will report the zero balance on the charge-off, but then turn around a create a collection record on the report which would kill my score even more.

Because they aren't reporting these as "collections" there really isn't a PFD aspect here.  Asking them to wipe the charge-off is probably impossible given I'm looking to settle.

I did the FICO score simulator and if I get these balances down to $0, my score would potentially jump 50-75 points since my utilization would drop significantly.  What I'm afraid of is that potential increase would be negated if they each created a "collection" record after the fact...maybe even more hurtful to my score.  I want to pay, but also want to do what is most advantageous from a scoring perspective.

Anyone have experience or thoughts regarding my question?  Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collections Not On Credit Report

@girlindebt wrote:

I have a couple of credit card accounts that are reported as charge-offs on my credit report.  However, none are currently denoted as "collections" accounts from a reporting perspective.  They are still reporting the balance monthly, which is hitting my utilizing.  These are sizable debts ($5k+) and fairly recent charge-offs (less than 2 years) so the SOL is well within the limit.

I have received settlement offers via mail from:

• American Express Global Collections (American Express)
  • Client Services Incorporated (Chase)

My question is IF I accept their settlement offers, will they then turn around and report them as paid-settled "collection" accounts as soon as I pay?

I'm trying to avoid that from occuring and just take the hit on the charge-offs with a zero balance.  I'm afraid if I pay, they will report the zero balance on the charge-off, but then turn around a create a collection record on the report which would kill my score even more.

Because they aren't reporting these as "collections" there really isn't a PFD aspect here.  Asking them to wipe the charge-off is probably impossible given I'm looking to settle.  

Anyone have experience or thoughts regarding my question?  Thanks.

You need to make deal with them on the offer that if you pay it they wont report it. The OCs are not going to wipe away the CO so I would not even ask for it, settling will stop the monthly updating and allow your Fico to begin to recover. Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you oay them that one acct will go to 'paid as agreed" or "settled" with a $0 balance. If you dont amex and chase will eventuslly package your acct with others and sell it to the highest bidder. This will result in these accts showing transferred or sold with a $0 balance then the buyer will start collections accts for the balance + their version of interest. If you can settle now then do it. Waiting on a debt buyer will hurt more.
Message 3 of 8
girlindebt

First, thank you for the prompt replies.

Are American Express Global Collections and Client Services Inc internally collection companies (for AMEX and Chase) meaning they don't report the debt as a "collection" unlike say Portfolio Recovery or Midland?

I guess I'm trying to undestand what exactly will be reported if I accept their settlement offers.  I understand I could specificy that as a term of the settlement, but what is their default reporting if I just accept the settlement as is?

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are most likely their internsl collection agencies. I had a similar situation with usaa and merrick when i started rebuilding. I actually paid and dealed with the collection company but usaa and merrick still owned the debt so that one charged off acct is what they updated.
Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A collection is reported by a debt collector.

In almost all cases, a debt collector is a third-party other than the original creditor.

However, there is an exception.

The FDCPA definition of a debt collector also includes the original creditor ONLY IF they use a name other than their own, and thus suggests they are a third party.  See FDCPA 803(6).

If you have an Amex card and you receive communications from their internal collection department under the name American Express Global Collections, that is not a name that suggests they are a third party, and thus they would not be a debt collector.

They would not report their attempts to collect as a formal "collection" in your credit report.

Message 6 of 8
girlindebt

Thanks again for the replies.  If I interprete the response, it could go either way.  They may just report it as a paid charge off and no collection record - OR - there could be a collection record created once I settle.

I'm obviously wanted it to stay as a paid charge-off and no collection record.  Basically, keep it as it appears now on my CR but with a zero balance.

Short of actually calling them and asking, anyone else been in my specific situation?

Message 7 of 8
Zizou615
Established Member

If you haven't done anything with Credit Services Inc, sit tight.  I accepted a written settlement offer I ran by both a mortgage lender and credit repair agency--yesterday I made the final payment and today I cannot log into their portal (assuming they closed my account).  I'm waiting to see what happens with reporting, but the simulations done for me indicate this will be a big boost for me.

Since it has been a few months, did you ever settle or do anything?  If so, what happened?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.